Unpleasant experience

sorry for posting late, but I havent been on in a few days. my thoughts on this are just this..when I started out, I found i had shots I sorta liked, shots I loved and shots I hated...mostly shots I found less then pleasing but the ones I liked were about 6 to 10 per roll. then I learned some stuff...now when i look back over what i thought i loved and go...ehh...so..I think its my knowledge thats changed how i look at my results. now i am happy with 3 or 4 in a roll, which, by the way, ever pro photographer seems to think is about average. and well, as for notes, I am still trying to train myself to do that, I am always looking back at stuff trying to remember the details..but also, remember to shoot photos for the love of it. and you will improve naturally.

A few added suggestions ~

* Study each and every image, even the bad ones for they will be your best teacher:

- note and record all the things you like about it

- do the same with all the things you don't like about it

- this exercise works best when studying prints, not the camera's LCD screen or a computer monitor

- on future shoots, remember to apply what you learn

* Plan your shots:

- study "concepts" and learn how to develop an idea into the final image

- try shooting a project / series of images (¹)

- walking around looking for things to shoot can be fun, but one often ends up with nothing more than nicely composed and beautifully exposed photographs of ... nothing

* Don't be distracted and get sucked into the film v digital debate; they're simply tools

* If it's any consolation - Ansel Adams thought that one good image a year was an accepatble strike rate

* And, most importantly ... remember to have fun!

Best wishes

:)

è_

EDIT: (¹) added

Most reactions

Back