Unsupported File error on some jpeg's

Stan Springer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After scanning a bunch of old 35mm slides and processing them using Paint Shop Pro, they display ok on my computer, but using a slideshow mode on my PVR (personal video recorder) connected to my TV, some don't display, showing "unsupported file" then locking the PVR up. I was having the same problem with some B/W .jpg's but when I converted the color depth to 16 million, they worked. I've checked everything i can in the image information and can't see any difference between the ones that play and those tha don't. I'm wondering if I can tweak some characteristic like I did with the B/W's, but can't figure out what. Image processing software I'm using is Paintshop Pro, Nikon Capture NX2 and Irfanview. Any ideas? Anyone else encountered the same problem?

I would look first at file extensions then file size. Next at the pixels of vertical and horizontal of the pics. They were saved by the same program so I would try to rescan one of the bad ones and see if it's still bad.
Still nothing? I'd look at the EXIF for a good one and a bad one and see if anything stands out.
NO concrete ideas but that's the approach I'd take.

After scanning a bunch of old 35mm slides and processing them using Paint Shop Pro, they display ok on my computer, but using a slideshow mode on my PVR (personal video recorder) connected to my TV, some don't display, showing "unsupported file" then locking the PVR up. I was having the same problem with some B/W .jpg's but when I converted the color depth to 16 million, they worked. I've checked everything i can in the image information and can't see any difference between the ones that play and those tha don't. I'm wondering if I can tweak some characteristic like I did with the B/W's, but can't figure out what. Image processing software I'm using is Paintshop Pro, Nikon Capture NX2 and Irfanview. Any ideas? Anyone else encountered the same problem?
Well I stumbled upon a work-around - converted the files to .bmp, then back again to jpeg. Then they play just fine. Couldn't see any difference in the file parameters when I finished, but it did work.

Most reactions

Back