What's new

Untitled

Nice dof and colours, but strange angle of view.
 
"Strange" can be good. May not always be, but here, I think, it is.
Though in general I'm very much in favour of straight lines and all that, especially after I've seen Frequency's edit, here I get the strong feeling that the tilt works better for this particular photo. Invisible's edit is convincing, mind, though, of course, a simple flip is too simple (what with the letters of the cross appearing mirrored). But the "flow" is more given in that first edit.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #20
I'm probably late to the party, and the food's all gone, but what the heck. I'm curious what you would have had if you had a much more shallow depth of field, with the focus on the closer arm of the cross. The falling leaves would still be clear, but the background branch would be more of a suggestion of a branch. Can't help but think that a little motion blur on the leaves could have given it more zing. or am I completely missing the point?

Aaaaaaaaaactually... I was very much thinking about our dear Ms. Pixelrabbit while taking these and I was REALLY trying to get a long shutter shot with motion blur... but in bright sun? Yyyyyyyyyyeah. Not gonna happpen. I need to buy some ND filters. Like NOW.

As far as the shallow DOF and such, I chose this DOF intentionally... yes would have been different results if I did otherwise, but this was what I intended. *shrug* not sure what else to say. :lol: But I appreciate your comments!

I like the feeling of "toppling over" in this, I see the cross first then notice the leaves falling, neat idea.

Thanks! :) Sorry I missed your comment before, BTW. :)

I think the composition is fine, but the exposure was a bit bright. Invisible's edit was good. I like to see distinct shadows on the monument. I also don't mind underexposure when it comes to subjects like this. You'll often have overexposed parts (such as the base where the cross rests on).

Is there a reason why some leaves have white outlines, or is it simply the back lighting from the sun?

Back lighting and there MAY be a bit of a sharpening artifact. I noticed it around the cross as well. I'll check it when I re-edit it later today. Thanks for pointing it out.

I think you may be right on the brightness. Frankly, my first edits are always terrible. :lol: Thanks for the comments.

Nice dof and colours, but strange angle of view.

Yup. Tilt. I know. :lol: thank you!

"Strange" can be good. May not always be, but here, I think, it is.
Though in general I'm very much in favour of straight lines and all that, especially after I've seen Frequency's edit, here I get the strong feeling that the tilt works better for this particular photo. Invisible's edit is convincing, mind, though, of course, a simple flip is too simple (what with the letters of the cross appearing mirrored). But the "flow" is more given in that first edit.

Thanks for the thoughtful comments, LaFoto. Frequency's edit was interesting for me, because this is definitely the way I saw the image when I took it, but it wasn't until Freq straightened it that I realized how static the image would have been otherwise. I agree... invisible's edits are very convincing. Also interesting is I originally envisioned this picture from the other side of the cross, but the light didn't work out for that composition at all.

OK; I am trying to be impressed by that tilt ;)

FEEEEEEEEEEL IT!

Frequency said:
OK; I am trying to be impressed by that tilt ;)

Embrace the tilt! ;)

YES! :lol:
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom