Upcoming Photoshoot

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by LorreesWorld, Jun 14, 2018.

1. LorreesWorld

LorreesWorld TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    So I have a friend who couldn't afford a 'professional' photographer so he is hiring me to do his companies 'Men of Construction' Calendar this year.
    I'm Shooting with a Canon EOS 70D. The Lenses I own are the standard 18-55mm, Tamron SP 10-24mm 1: 3.5-4.5, Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, tamron 60mm F/2 Macro 1:1 and Canon zoom lens EF 70-300mm 1:4 - 5.6.

They want me to of course photograph the guys, but the work they have done as well. I need tips on the type of settings I should use and which lenses would be best for me to use.

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It looks like you've mostly been doing wildlife, etc. I think it would be better to refer the friend to where to find a freelance commercial photographer to contract for the job. Since this is for a company, then they'd have a budget to hire an experienced pro for this project.

If you don't know what lenses to use or how to set the camera for the type photos needed, you're probably not going to be able to do this yourself. The best favor for the friend would probably be to help him help his company find a pro who does commercial/business photography.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    It's likely to require a variety of settings and one or more lens changes.
    Light direction and quality will be important as will white balance settings on the camera.
    Do you have, and know how to use, a hot shoe flash unit?

Are you able to use your camera's Manual settings effectively?

Shots of the workers are "environmental portraits".
    Shots of their work would be construction shots.

4. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You need to be flexible. You will find short shots and long shots. Low-light and bright sunlight. You will need some off-camera lighting, along with inexpensive modifiers and light stands and/or clamps. I can't begin to tell you which lenses you will need for which shots, but just use the best lenses (image quality) for each situation.

I presume you're being "hired" for peanuts, so be ready for this project to suck up a lot of your own time and money with none/very little compensation. Be sure to get model releases from each of the models and make sure your contract with the owner gives you full publishing rights on all the photos. You should use the good ones to promote your own business, even if you don't actually have a real business yet.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  5. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

If you're being paid it would be a good idea to check legal requirements Colorado has for conducting a business.
    States don't like it if they're not given the sales, use, and other tax dollars they are owed.