Upgrade camera all together or just lenses?

DSpandel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So basiclly I have a Sony Alpha 200 which has been a really nice camera for me since I've had it. I really started to enjoy getting out and really working on my shots enough that I have enrolled into a photography program at a local art school.

I'm wondering if the camera is going to be able to do the job and I should just buy some lenses or if it would be better for me to invest in a nicer camera. Any thoughts on the Alpha? And any suggestions for alternative cameras are welcome ;)

Hi DSpandel,

It's hard to tell you if you need to upgrade bodies or lenses without knowing what you are trying to create artistically and what lenses you have to work with. Remember, the great photography of the past was taken with bodies FAR less technically advanced than is available now.

If you want/need new glass, you can choose from legacy Minolta glass fairly inexpensively all the way up to Carl Zeiss autofocus lenses. You definitely have a wide range of choices in glass; quality budget glass to class-leading Zeiss glass.

Don't get too hung up on bodies. They will always change for the better and you can chase that train into the poor-house. Glass is where it's at. Your glass will last a lifetime and is your true investment.

Don't get hung up on your tools. You have more than capable tools. You don't seen wood workers arguing about who's hammer/chisel is best; they argue about who can use their tools the best to do the best job.

Study lighting and composition. These are the tools that will make you a great photographer, not matter what you have in your hand. Focus on that and enjoy the journey. Leave the tech-lust for when you graduate and have to decide between a top-of-the-line body or a suite of modelling lights.

Cheers!
Tyler

I'm wondering if the camera is going to be able to do the job ...

Hmm, as stated by wtdeane ... what are the job requirements?

I use a Sony A100 ... I am happy with it even though it is "old" technology, as I have some excellent Minolta lenses for it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back