upgrade camera or lens

kensfish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im looking to upgrade from nikon d5200 to the d7100. or should i just upgrade my lenses?

Depends. What is the D5200 not doing that the D7100 can?

And what are your current lenses not doing that different ones will be able to?

have $1500 to spend on camera equipment, i have the 5200 for a month now with a 35mm prime, 50mm prime and tamron 18 to 270. seems the 7100 has a lot more features, or just add to my lens collection

In my opinion, I think you should not be in such a hurry to spend your money. Also IMO, the D5200 is quite a nice DX camera with features and capabilities that I'm guessing you have not fully explored yet.

I would rather see you keep saving up for a FX-sensor camera, and/or some additional lenses in the future.

Just relax and enjoy the D5200 for now.

If you have to burn the money right now, get some professional-grade lenses that you will still want to keep when you get that D4.

There's really not a whole lot of sense in moving from a D5200-a D7100 in terms of image quality. They're roughly the same. Your next "big" improvment would moving up to a FX body or lenses, which would be the most obvious path. If you want lenses, I can recommend a few. The Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8, Nikon 16-85 f/3.5-5.6. If I were in your current situation and wanting to go FX, I'd keep your money for now and continue to save up. Sometimes the best investment is upgrading photographer him or herself. Not the gear.

You've been shooting for a month?

In that case, don't buy lenses or cameras. Just practice. Or if you insist on buying something right now, buy photography BOOKS

I own the D7100 and I can tell you if I owned a D5200 I wouldn't bother to get the D7100.
This is not a vote against the D7100, its a vote of respect for the D5200!
The D5200 is an awesome tool and if I wanted to upgrade from this today the only way (in my eyes) truly to upgrade is go full frame.

Don't sell your D5200 short its a very good camera, keep it for a couple of years and then when you are ready to upgrade either go for the D7100 replacement or full frame.

have $1500 to spend on camera equipment, i have the 5200 for a month now with a 35mm prime, 50mm prime and tamron 18 to 270. seems the 7100 has a lot more features, or just add to my lens collection

I have heard it all now, you will have a D4 by Christmas

In that case, don't buy lenses or cameras. Just practice. Or if you insist on buying something right now, buy photography BOOKS

I've got to agree.

Bingo.

Most reactions

Back