Upgrade from Canon 20D and Sigma 17-35mm Aspherical EX HSM 82mm

bealehere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey

I'm new to this forum and am looking for some advise really.

I have owned 2 DSLR's now. First was a brand new 350D with the standard lens. I used that and then about 3 or so years ago got a used 20D for very cheap. I carried on using the lens from the 350D until I sold the camera. Now at this point I wanted a wide angled zoom lens and not knowing a huge amount bought a cheap 17-35mm Sigma EX HSM Aspherical lens the old 82mm version. I have another crappy lens but that never gets used.

Now I am looking to upgrade both the camera and the lens, or just buy a new lens. I would like to get something that is more than 8MP, and has a bit more scope to continue with. I do like photography and would like to try and start making a little money out of doing it as a hobby/part time stuff. I don't have a huge amount of money and am wondering about changing from Canon to Nikons' D300 as from what I have read it seems to be a pretty good camera.

What would be suggestions as to what to get as I am a little unsure what to go for. I have been looking at the Nikon D300 and a Nikkor 16-35 DX. or keep my Canon 20D and get a nice lens, but again unsure whether to go for a Canon Lens of a Sigma.

Thanks

Rich :)

Welcome aboard. What do you shoot? What is your budget? Are you looking/willing to buy used?

Without any direction...I'll throw out the suggestion of a Canon 40D and a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.

Hey BikeMike, thanks for the quick response.

Here are some shots I take, well a selection, mainly take landscapes/cityscapes but like portraits as well.

studiobeale

I am starting to edit a lot of my pictures as well. I have borrowed my friends Canon 50mm F1.4 as well a few times the portraits and the seattle shots are shot with the 50mm Prime the rest are using my Sigma 17-35mm.

What would I gain from going to the 40d from the 20d? would I gain more going to a 50D or even a 60d?

Go to Digital Photography Review You can select the various models (put them in the short list) then click compare. It will give you a side by side comparison of features. The 40D has, I think, 12 mega pixels, a decent jump from 8. It shoots faster than the 20D and has a larger screen, spot metering etc. Best of all, it should be available fairly cheap. I know some photographers who think that the 40D is in a sweet spot with mega pixels and sensor size. The 50D give you 15 mega pixels, but not much (or no) increase in image quality. Still, more MP at the same quality is an upgrade. If they were the same price, I'd suggest the 50D, but for a couple hundred less, the 40D would be great. The 50D does have video, if that's an option you want.
The 60D really diverges from the line. It's smaller and lighter than the 50D....more like a Rebel. It's still a nice camera, and it has the articulating screen, but I haven't heard too many people raving about the image quality.

So yes, you would gain more by choosing any of those newer cameras, but if you can spend less and put the savings toward a good lens, you might be better off in the end.

Another option, since you mentioned landscapes and portraits, might be a 5D or 5D mkII. These are full frame cameras, which will give you outstanding image quality. They would be more expensive though.

I agree with Big Mike on the 40d if you are upgrading but looking at your shots and the type of photography you say you mostly do you probably don't need to upgrade the camera. You may find if you get the lens he said you are covered, although i should practice what i preach having upgraded 2 cameras in the past year. very nice shots btw

Hi,

Again thanks for the help.

I have read some reviews that the Tamron lens is actually not as good as say the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM.

I just want something that is going to keep me going for a while. Would I be better off going for a lens that I can use on a full frame in the future?

I think I will stick to the 20D for the time being, maybe upgrade the camera at the end of the year or early next year when I have some more money.

Thanks for all the help :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back