upgrade from d200-d300 worth it?

Lunchbox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How much difference will i really see if i upgrade my body from the 200 to the 300..how much better is it?

Go into a camera store and see for yourself.

Bigger LCD, better high ISO performance, Active D lighting. And don't forget the two strawberry blonde twins that come with, lol.

The D300 is a better performer, but if I had the D200, I probably would not upgrade for this reason. See how you get along first.

so because i have only been doing this for a lil over a year i shouldnt be serious bout it?...or ?

i didnt wanna take what you mean the wrong way

so because i have only been doing this for a lil over a year i shouldnt be serious bout it?...or ?

i didnt wanna take what you mean the wrong way
My apologies for being presumptuous. But on the surface it seems that in the past five months you have upgraded from a D40 to the D200. Now you are questioning about another upgrade. You are young and ambitious I'm sure, but apply the breaks a little and learn the equipment at hand first. That's all I'm saying. Nothing wrong with getting the best we can afford, but it's too easy to get caught up in the techie $hit and overlook the fundamentals. Good luck.

Last edited:
Indeed the D200 is a better performer but it by far not a better camera if you get my drift. Basically money is better spent on lenses tripods and other things that expand the scope of what you are trying to do.

The only feature that really makes the D300 a better camera is it's insane autofocus and far more advanced focus tracking. This would make a difference if you're doing sports photography in which case a D300 upgrade may even be worthwhile. But for everything else you'd get a marginal increase in high-iso performance, and other than that, absolutely nothing that would make you take a better picture. Everything else (bigger LCD [who cares], active-D lighting [RAW + Photoshop],) is a superficial upgrade.

A majority of what i do is motion such as car racing and sports but then every once in a while i will do some portraits or night shots

what about the d90?

-------------

Last edited:
Exactly..

Is it worth selling the D200 then buying a D300 with putting more money in to it? Does the D200 lack something you can explicitly say you NEED? If it doesn't I'd spend the money on other things you've been wanting/needing, things as small as a CPL, reflectors, umbrellas, light stands, spare batteries, grip?, lenses etc..

I don't know what sort of lenses you have but having good glass will probably outweigh the benefits of a D300 over a D200.

What's with the Carolina Photography Club anyway? Is that your deal? Do you have a site? Would love to see some of your work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back