Upgrade question

xxjordanexx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am upgrading from a nikon d40, and i need some advice because i am stuck between two cameras: either the new nikon d3100 or a refurbished d90? which would be better off in the long run? thanks

which the refurbs are basically new anyways right?

Refurbished cameras get individual inspection to ensure they meet Nikon's specifications and standards. Only a small handful of the brand new cameras get inspected as closely.

Refurbished cameras are technically not new. Imagine someone buys a new D90, takes 25 shots and then decides to return it for some reason and get their money back. That camera cannot legally be resold as new, so Nikon inspectors check it over, do whatever needs to be done to return the camera to like new condition, and sell it as refurbished with a 90 day warranty. a refurbished camera may have failed a mid-manufacturing test and required repair or it may have been used briefly by Nikon for demo purposes.

Both cameras have a built-in AF sensor. Plus, they both use the same Nikon Multi-CAM1000, 9 focus point AF module. The D90 has an autofocus motor built into it that could be used to drive the focus mechanism of non AF-S lenses.

The D90 has better and more usable low-light ISO performance, and more dynamic range than the D3100 according to the independent testing lab DXO Mark: DxOMark - Compare sensors

Add that the D90 can auto bracket 3 exposures, has a top LCD, 2 command wheels, Commander mode when using CLS (Nikon's Creative Lighting System) and has a shutter life rated for twice the D3100 shutter.

In short, the D90 offers more for the value for the $$$.

Last edited:
Go for the D90. It will last you longer. Only thing the D3100 has over the D90 is the autofocus video. You won't tell the difference between a refurbished or new D90.

ok thanks, i think i am going to order the refurbished d90 from bhphotovideo.com, the d40 kit lense will work on the d90? reason im asking is i will have to use it for a month or so until i can save up enough for the 18-105mm lense for the d90.

ok thanks, i think i am going to order the refurbished d90 from bhphotovideo.com, the d40 kit lense will work on the d90? reason im asking is i will have to use it for a month or so until i can save up enough for the 18-105mm lense for the d90.
Please note the vast majority of TPF forum membes use the shift key to make the appropriate capital letters when they post. It makes written communcation so much clearer, easier to read, and adds substantial credibility to your posts.

All Nikon dSLR's use the same lens mount (F-mount) so the D40 kit lens works on all of them.

I just ordered the Nikon d90 body only and I was wondering what lens would be best for just starting out with it? thanks

I mainly want to take landscape pictures and sunsets. I would like to try and keep it under $300-400

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back