Upgrade

Akoz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i want to get a new camera for taking landscapes and cityscapes.
My price range for the camera is about 1000 give or take.
i want to be able to print large quality pictures.
Any ideas?

For Lens if anyone has a suguesstion i would like to hear them.

You can get the sigma 10-20mm or canon 10-22mm for a nice wide angle look. As for a camera, the sky is the limit. If you want large print pictures then make sure whatever camera you purchase will have the megapixels you are looking for.

The Sigma 10-20 by itself is ~$500, FYI.

You may be able to get away with a variet of lenses that start at the low end around 18mm.

This is also making the somewhat rash assumption that you want a (d)SLR.

So, I think we need some more info on what kind of pictures you want to be taking, what your desires are generally, what your flexibility is for larger cameras vs. something you can shove in your pocket, etc.

yes i was thinking about a DSLR.
i want to take landscape and cityscape pictures that are high quality.
what i want to do with the pictures is maybe frame some of them, hang them up on a wall. so maybe high megapixels.

and for size of the camera. any size is ok with me.

for just the camera i want to spend about $1000

A large variety of cameras and lenses would likely work. The aforementioned Sigma 10-20 is great but tends to be so wide as to not be too useful outside of landscapes/cityscapes, etc. It does generate some BEAUTIFUL star effects on lights at night with the smaller aperature. Really awesome results for night photography with this lens in general.

A good starter lens for you might be the 18-135. It's reasonably wide for decent landscapes and such but also gives you a lot of general flexibility and doesn't so horribly gimp you when you need more zoom. Lots of cameras these days also come with kid lenses of 18-55/50-200... these are fine, too. Basically don't go any less wide than an 18mm and you should be ok on landscapes, but having the 10mm is REALLY enabling.

On camera bodies (at least in the Nikon space) if your budget is $1000, go with the D80 or better. I think the D200 body is right around $1000 new now, so I would recommend that. Don't go any less than the D80.

Keep in mind, I am MASSIVELY oversimplifying here based upon a very limited amount of knowledge about what you are looking for. Thefore, don't take anything I say as gospel.

There are VOLUMES of information about this kind of query on these forums. Use the Search feature and you'll find tons of discussions on it and get a lot of data.

There is also the Tokina 12-24 you loose those 2mm on the wide end and that is a pretty good amount but u gain that extra 4 on the other side which would push u farther into the sorta kit lens range.

Also what brand were you going to go with nikon, canon, etc
some have better name brand lens than others
for example with nikon go with the sigma or tokina instead of the nikon 12-24 save you money the the sigma and the tokina are better lens and cheaper what more can you ask for

Most reactions

New Topics

Back