Upgrades for Computer

Myst go look at the 4850 and 4870 benches before you only recommend nvidia to people.

There's also no reason to avoid support for xfire or SLI, especially with the trend towards using GPU's to boost performance in applications. You also loose the extra X16 slot when you drop that option, which drops a lot of high speed internal raid and HDD controllers.

They do? Where at? I wanna know.

www.macsales.com Don't know if they ship to Japan. I've had good business with them at a fraction of Apple branded components.

The limitations of average human necks and the proximation most of us use our monitors at. We tried them and most people didn't like them.

So the issues is with personal preferences rather than technical (as I thought). I love the 30 inchers... to each their own.

In regards to the dream system I posted. That is the price from apple. However in this area you can get the same parts much cheaper at the Apple dealer. Not an official apple store but an apple dealer. Parts price out at about the same as top quality PC parts through them and they install them with the computer free. Ram, about $100 per gig etc.

In regards to the setup. The Apple dealer in Kansas City has that setup just for fun. (Damn expensive fun but totally cool) Until you have seen it and played with it, you can not have any kind of a clue what it can do. Photoshop alone loads faster than you can read the start up screen.

• [*]1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s -hard drive
    1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s -hard drive

Apple charges almost exactly quadruple for the same HDDs so I got my own:
    1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA - $100

From the local apple dealer $129 each

• NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB -Video Card
    Quadro is a total waste of money unless you're doing nothing but REALLY heavy CAD.
    So, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB or
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (Add $150.00) will do just fine.
I do heavy graphics as well and video.
  • Two 16x SuperDrives
    Why two? -$100
Nothing like burning more two duel density DVD's in less than 10 minutes at the same time. The only limit is the write speed.
  • Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
    Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)

Dual 30" isn't useful... too large.
    Two LG Flatron 24" LCD ($300 ea.)
Depends on what all you are doing I love two 30" for the amount of space they give. Plus if I am board I will run a dvd on one while working on the other.
  • Apple Mighty Mouse
    You mean the wireless one? Me hates batteries.
    Logitech G5
Plain old wired mouse.
  • Apple Keyboard + User's Guide
It's always nice to have a keyboard. You can't get a keyboard or mouse these days with out a user guide. They don't want to be sued for carpel tunnel you know.
  • Quad Channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express Card
    You're running an external Xserve RAID?
    Why? Are you editing a hollywood film or something?
    No need for this at all.
Not Hollywood film, but lots of video, presentations etc. And yes, I am adding an Xserve RAID. Plus I have 30 years of negatives that I will be digitizing. Does take room.
  • Xsan 2
    Again, no need.
Depends on your requirements.
  • Aperture preinstalled
    Aperture is not so great IMO. cut from the list. ;-)
Maybe not great but serves the purpose for quick jobs.

As for what I ordered, that again is the Apple cost. Mine is less although the 23" is still $900 by it self. Nothing can be done about that. Should see it first part of next week. Hopefully Adobe will get my Apple Upgrade shipped to me quickly when CS4 comes out in 64 bit. Until then I am going to live with Aperture.

lol I think I forgot to say that the motherboard on your desktop is kinda old. I believe radeon 9800 Pro is AGP while all the newer graphic cards use PCI express. so if you really think its not good enough for the few stuff you do on it then you will need to get a whole new computer with a motherboard supporting PCI express and DDR2. btw when it comes to 3d gaming you dont need to spend a lot of money on expensive hdd like Raid or overclockable RAM and all that usually you wont see any difference at all. hmm I wonder why people are still using Apple ok they may be good for certain graphic programs but thats it lots of games and apps for pc dont have Mac support and btw lol its funny that mac now use Intel cpu:s :D I think its matter of time before Mac disappears

dude hobbes......punctuation and sentence structure are your friends.

At least put in line breaks to help keep coherent thoughts.

i was gonna say the same thing, txaggie08. anyways. thanks for the help.

i'll probably be purchasing a new desktop next month. ill try and go below $600 for now. maybe i wnot buy a video card for it. ill wait another month for that.

i still gotta get me a good monitor and that calibration thing i keep hearing about.

lol are you nitpicking because I was dissing Mac? :D

I crack up whenever I read a Mc/PC bash fest.

IMHO, my 24", iMac, 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2gb ram, 500gb HD, 1 TB external set-up is all I need. I do tons of image processing, a decent amount of video work, and horde a lot of electronica music to mix using Traktor and an external USB DJ control. It's more than enough, and the Mac only cost me $2200 (education discount ’cause I'm a teacher). And if I were going to get a second monitor, I wouldn't go with LG. Eizo is the way if you want perfect color!

heh I am sure I can get a pc for around 1500 dollars here in Sweden that can run all the latest 3d games like Far Cry 2 and Crysis, at highest settings. but then again I dont know how much it requires for video work and music mixing. and I am sure you can get a better processor than Core Duo for that price :D btw what video card do you have?

Last edited:
Hobbes- I'm a PC certified tech who loathes mac.....I was nitpicking because my head hurts after trying to read your post.

And what do you propose is so much better than the C2D? Quad core is not the answer to that question btw, man applications are not QC compatible.

Most reactions

Back