Upgrading advice?

Spectral

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so recently I have been trying to decide what I want to upgrade to.

Right now I am shooting with a Nikon D40.

I have the kit lens (18-55mm) and and 18-135mm.

I am debating on upgrading between a few cameras.

Nikon D90
Nikon D300
Canon 30D
Canon 40D

I think though that I leaning towards the D90 or 40D.

When i upgrade I also plan on buying either a SB-800 or 580EX.
If I stay Nikon I will be upgrading to atleast one better lens and getting rid of both the 18-55 and 18-135. Obviously if I go to Canon I will have to buy a lens.

I always hear how Canon glass is so much better. And Nikon is crap. I have been shooting with the 18-135mm for about a year now and I have had some very high quality shots. And i know the 18-135 is not close to one of Nikon's super nice glass. For Nikon I will probably get the 12-24 lens. If i go to Canon I will probably get the 17-40mm.

What advice can you guys lend me?

Canon glass is better than Nikon glass? Don;t know who's been selling that story but its definatly wrong (ps I am a canon shooter ;)).
Its true that Nikon lenses (especially the longer telephotos) tend to be noticably more expensive than their Canon counterparts, but honestly they are both top of the game camera manufacturers and both make top line glass.
Firstly as you have experience I say site down and work out what you want your camera to be able to do - what do you want to take photos of. Wildlife, sports, people, weddings etc.. then work out what lenses you would need from each manufacturer to achive what you want to photograph (of course taking such things into account as budget, zoom or prime and so on).

Then sit back and see which company gives you the best lenses and price for what you want to be able to shoot and can realistically see yourself getting (not all at the start, but over a resonable length of time (how long this is will depend on how long you consider reasonable).

Then you can better decide if you truly want to move brands or not

For the most part I take pictures of cars, landscapes, and architecture. I also want to start taking modeling pictures.

I do not know what lenses would be best suited for my needs though. That might be where I need most guidance. I know a wide angle lens is good for landscapes and car photos. But I'm not sure what lenses are best for shooting people and architectures. I've heard good things about 50mm f/1.8 for many different types of shooting.

I was thinking a good lens set up would be a wide angle zoom, 50mm f/1.8, and a 70-200mm f/2.8??

Don't bother switching, your money will be better spent on good lenses.

The 50mm F1.8 gets a lot of run because it's cheap and decent...but it's probably not top quality. The Canon one isn't. The 70-200mm F2.8 VR would be a great lens for shooting people.

What are your guys opinion between the D300 and D90?

I haven't found any huge differences between the 2 and the differences I have found I don't see me really NEEDING....Like the weatherproofed body, and 51 pt AF system.

Most reactions

Back