robertwsimpson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone

So I've had this XTi for a few years now, and I got a nice check for Christmas, so I'd like to get another body.

I've been thinking 50d, but I figured I would get your opinions on the subject before I do anything crazy. My budget is about $1000, but less is more when it comes to how much to spend. I wouldn't mind ending up with another lens, even if it's a cheapie, because the main reason I am getting another body is so that my girlfriend can shoot with me. I already have the 18-55, 55-250IS, and the 50 f1.8

so shoot your opinion all over this thread, because that's what the internet is for!

Is there anything that you find your camera is lacking?

If you were strictly looking for an upgrade, I'd suggest looking at lenses before the camera. But since you want a second camera...do you need (or just want) a bigger body like the 50D?
There are plenty of technical differences, and those are easy enough to look up....but in a practical sense, would something like 6.5 fps really make a difference to you?

I do like shooting in burst, but anything is an improvement from 3 fps.

I definitely want a bigger body with easier controls.

I'd like to have the best ISO capabilities that I can get for the money.

I really don't shoot in burst mode that often, so I'd give it about a 5 on the importance scale.
I don't have the fastest lenses in the world (looking to improve in that category when funds allow), so I'd like to be able to make up a little in ISO performance. I'd give ISO performance a 8 or 9 for importance.

I'd go for a 40d, but I'm just not convinced that I'd be happier with 8mp than 10. It seems like a sidegrade rather than an upgrade. If only the 7d was a few hundred dollars cheaper or already on the used market...

I'm also considering a 5d... I'm scared though, especially since the only lens that will work on it is the 50mm... I guess I could shoot portraits and the like while I save monies.

I'd recommend reading the reviews at this site:

Canon Digital SLR Camera & Lens Reviews

Excellent info at the above site. I'm currently using the 40D, and while I like it a lot, I'm definitely going to be upgrading to either the 50D or 7D, for the better control over noise. A pro friend is currently using the 50D, and the difference in image quality is dramatic compared to my 40D.

Either the 50D or 7D would allow you to continue sharing the EF-S lenses you own. Either would allow micro-calibration with those lenses, making the focus of your current lenses spot-on. I don't think you should go with the 40D. Yes, it has significant improvements over your XTi/400D, but you won't be happy when you compare even the XSi/450D or T1i/500D to the 40D.

So that's my two cents! :)

oh wow I didn't think there was a huge difference in image quality from the 40d to 50d. interesting. I'll definitely go with the 50d then. after that, I can start getting better lenses!

does anyone know if EF-S lenses will work with a 1d mkII? it has the 1.3 crop factor rather than the 1.6...

edit: nevermind it can't. :(

Your lenses are in need of an upgrade as well, so I think 2010 will be an expensive photo year for you. :)

If i had a 40D, I would not upgrade to a 50D
If I had a Rebel, I would upgrade to the 50D and not the 40D

I would upgrade to a 7D in both cases though.

I have shot with a friends 50D and i like the feel and better higher ISO performance over my XSI. So it should be even better going from an XTI to the 50D.

There will always be a better camera. Realistically though, when do you think you'll have the cash for a 1d? And keep in mind you'll want some lenses to go with that.

I would consider going to the 50D if you can't do the 7D.

I'm in the same boat you are (or will be after I get back from my trip to Australia) in that I want to upgrade my XSI (had it since July 08) to a 7D, but uncertain if i'll do the 50D. Depends on price.

I found a 1d mk2 on a reputable site for less than a thousand bucks, which is right in my price range. I am also seeing the 70-200f4L on ebay for less than a thousand... a 1d with a 50mm and the 70-200 would keep me busy for a while I would think... plus I'll still have access to the rebel if I really wanted to use it. I'm just giving it to my girlfriend and we're getting married in less than 3 months. plus the 1d is so pretty!

Ah, I didn't catch that you were looking at an older / used 1D, I thought it was the new one coming out. Definatly a price difference there. :)

As for the 70-200 f/4, is that the IS version you are seeing for under 1000? The non IS version goes for 650 or so new.

Decisions, decisions... :)

it was the non IS... and I didn't know that it went for that little new. that's very interesting. I do love having IS, but for a 70-200 lens to compliment the 50mm I might be willing to compromise. Well, I'm thinking the 1d mkII might be the answer!

I would personally get the IS on any lens 200mm or longer. I had under $1000 to spend and needed a telephoto for my trip and ended up with the 70-300 IS instead of the 70-200 f/4 non IS

Most reactions

New Topics

Back