What's new

upgrading Nikon 18-135mm kits lens

Texas Parrothead

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 17, 2011
Messages
126
Reaction score
5
Location
Fort Worth, Texas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is it possible to change the plastic mounting ring to a metal one on my Nikon 18-135mm AF-S DX f.3.5-5.6 G kit lens?

Call me funny I just wish it was metal. I know i can get a replacement plastic mount but wondered if there is a comparable metal replacement part.
 
I do not believe so, and if it were possible im sure it would be cheaper to buy another lens.
 
Call me a noob...or just tell me I haven't used kit lenses ever...but they make plastic mounting rings?!
 
Call me a noob...or just tell me I haven't used kit lenses ever...but they make plastic mounting rings?!

Everything is plastic now! Look at it this way, if you bash the lens hard enough to break the plastic mounting rings....odds are youve dorked up the optics as well.
 
Call me a noob...or just tell me I haven't used kit lenses ever...but they make plastic mounting rings?!

Everything is plastic now! Look at it this way, if you bash the lens hard enough to break the plastic mounting rings....odds are youve dorked up the optics as well.

I was looking at it in a more practical way, like the durability of a plastic mounting ring in the long run. I've just never owned a lens with a plastic mounting ring, and didn't even know Nikon made them that way. If you're changing your lens out a lot, it's probably going to matter in the long run.
 
I agree Michigan!

I was hoping I could change it to a metal one so it would last longer and be more sturdy in the long run. i actually really like the lens but wish it had a little better build quality.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom