Upgrading SD Cards

Rancor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hope I made the right decision. I was using a SDHC 8GB Class 4 15/mb, and today I ordered a SDHC 8GB class 10 UHM 1 45/mb. I stuck with an 8GB because as it is, even when I shoot a ton, I get no where near capacity, but I was having trouble with continuous drive not being able to run to its fullest potential. According to the specs, my Rebel XS can fire 3.6 shots per second, but it was running more like 1 shot every 1.5-2 seconds while shooting RAW. I lowered the image quality to 2.5M, and sure enough it sped right up. Still not to 3.6 per second, but it did speed up. So I grabbed the card.

Now, was this a practical move. I figure I can move the card to my next camera, so its a long term investment, and it will allow me to try something I've been wanting to do for a while, panning. It was $35 on amazon.

a class 10 card should last you some time. i have a 8GB sandisk class 10 myself. i think as long as you're not shooting 10fps RAW, you should be fine with a class 10

Good, cause like I said my current cam maxes out at 3 and a half.

What brand? I just bought 7 Transcend 8gb class 10 cards the other day :)

Its not all about the class, the write speed has a lot to do with processing times and FPS...

O I know. I read up on them before I went for it. The one I had is a 15mb/s and the one I ordered is a 45mb/s. 45mb/s seemed to be the high-mid range.

Try shooting RAW and using LightRoom, it changed my life.
To the point where I want a 7D now... 3 pictures a second As RAW+Jpeg just isn't enough...

Last edited:
O I'd love a 7D. Its what I plan on getting once I out run my current setup.

Your manual mentions somewhere that the camera has to be set up just right to achieve 3.6 fps.

JPEG, the right focus priority mode, no high ISO NR, etc, and of course there are limits on the shutter speeds you can use. Any shutter speed slower than about 1/30 can't do 3.6 fps.

I doubt the XS can actually utilize a memory card faster than grade 6, but a faster card will be able to upload to your computer faster.

Last edited:
Well I do a lot of my shooting at ISO 100-400 in the daylight, with wide apertures, and shutter speeds between 1/50-1/100 using both manual and auto focus. I also shoot RAW because at this point it makes no sense not to. I think the card will at minimum be a solid addition to my kit, and at most give me a faster continuous drive and photo upload speed.

Like I said above, I plan on moving on to a 7D as soon as I need to/can, and that thing has a beast of a FPS speed, so the card will come in even more handy then.

Why not a 1D s, what was it, 12 pps ? :D

Like I said above, I plan on moving on to a 7D as soon as I need to/can, and that thing has a beast of a FPS speed, so the card will come in even more handy then.
The SDHC cards your XS uses cannot be used in the 7D, because the 7D uses UDMA-Compliant, CF cards. Whoopsie!

Most reactions

Back