Upgrading SONY SLR camera, Advice?

RCJPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone.

I am beginning to build a business after a good response with my portfolio. I have been using a DSLR basic camera the Sony A390 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DSLRA3...UTF8&qid=1382189959&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+a390 for four years now and now that I am beginning to build a portfolio for a business I would like to upgrade but I cant upgrade to the top notch brand nor camera yet as I don't yet have the money to do so. I have decided to upgrade to a camera around the £399 budget as in my eyes it'll still be an upgrade. I would quite like to stay with Sony due to the lenses I have but I am not entirely sure to be honest what the best choice is. I am worried that if I go with a new brand I'll be disappointed as I have to admit I do love my camera. I found this camera Buy Sony SLTA58K 20.1MP DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens - Black at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Digital SLR cameras. but after searching had seen the odd negative review which made me feel doubtful. If anyone has any camera recommendations in the Sony range (for a budget) or they feel there is a better range than Sony I'd be happy to listen. I don't want to be limited manual wise as I shoot in manual and RAW. I am admittedly a bit worried about upgrading in case I don't like the upgrade, or I spend money to find its not added anything to my photography. Thank you for your time x

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
People are much more likely to post negative reviews than take the time to post positive. For the money the a58 is nice but what lenses do you have? What lighting do you use and what do you generally photograph?

I mainly use the basic lens kit I got with my SONY a390 and I have had great results with it, I also have a Sony DT 50mm AF f/1.8 SAM portrait lens. I use both natural and studio light - 2 soft boxes. I am quite basic with my equipment. I photograph people, families, children, models and so forth. I also photograph pets.

You seem to have a good set up. Just one more question, what is not good enough or what would you like to improve?

I am really just looking to improve the image quality. The set I have is a really old set and feel as if I am faltering behind. It's quite basic. I'd quite like to improve the quality of image I produce especially in Raw & I also find speed in which it takes photographs isn't up to scratch making it difficult to capture fast moving objects which is frustrating when capturing moving children

The a58 should do all that for you. But do remember it has no ovf it has an evf. Some love these and some hate them. The a58 seems to be the fastest in its class at the moment. A guy at a club I am in uses one and gets great images but to be fair I think he could with any camera. Another option would be to add a little and look at the a65. This seems Sony's best value dslr. To many options. If the ovf is a deal breaker for you there is no option but change brands if you want a "new" camera

Thank you for the information. I have never used a EVF so I can't really judge what they're like however after reading up on them it does put me off as it's not quite the same as looking yourself. I have looked into the a65 but I don't think I could really afford it. If I had it my way I'd be getting an A99 but I don't have much of a budget and whilst I am just spending out don't want to spend too much and not get as much I spend back if that sort of makes sense. Do you know how the guy at the club finds the EVF? I had been thinking of a Canon and I know a lot of photographers use Nikon but I really don't want to move out of a brand to find another isn't what id expected or as good. I was reading online just before and apparently Canon and Sony are rated the best brand for professional photography so I really don't know what to do. Thank you for your comments, it's of great help :)

I wouldn't say sony and canon are the most pro. canon and Nikon are probably on top due popularity alright. Others such as sony are often not looked at as serious photography companies by some. I'd say its all going to change in the near future.

It is hard to recommend a camera to you. Your lenses are not top dog but if your using them with softboxes in their sweet spot that should not be an issue. The EVF is a decision only you can make (by the way that a99 you mentioned has an evf as well, albeit of very high quality). If you change brand you also have to change lenses, flashguns and any accessories. I recommend staying with sony but don't buy for the sake of it

Oh the guy in the club upgraded from a bridge camera so would be used to an evf either way

The A58 is a great little camera. I like the fact that with the EVF, you see EXACTLY what you'll get from your photo before you take it. The translucent mirror tech seems to work quite well, and it makes for very, very little vibration in the camera, and less moving parts to eventually break. I was pretty impressed with the one I played with. Another option is a used A55. My wife just snagged one on ebay pretty cheap.

Is your 18-55 lens the SAM or SAM II? I've had horrible luck with the woman's 18-55 SAM, but her 50mm f/1.8 (probably the same one you have) is a fantastic little lens.

Go and try out the newer Sony's at your local shop to see how you feel about the EVF.
The A57 is still considered the best mid range unit over the A58 which replaced it.
I really suggest you upgrade your zoom lens as it is not the best in image quality.

Jaomul - Thank you for your advice. I am used to SONY so you're right I should consider staying with them. I am considering saving a little extra to get what I am after. Thank you for your advice and help.

Minicoop - Thank you for the advice! I am thinking of now saving a little extra to get what id really like but we'll see. Mine is the 50mm f.18. I love it but usually use the lens I got with my camera at the start as its best for capturing everything I need to capture.

DXQCanada - I was wondering if I might be able to try the cameras out. I wasn't sure if the shops would allow you to do that. I've never heard of it being allowed but then again I haven't really spoken to anyone upgrading there camera. I'll definitely pop along and have a look. Its probably the better idea to try before I buy. Do you have any recommendations for a zoom lens? I have had a look but with my budget struggled to find one. Thank you :)

All the cameras in Sony line up except the a99 are for enthusiasts and not pro's.
If you are serious about working as a pro you need pro gear.
Yes a crop sensor camera will give good results, I know I am on my 3rd crop sensor camera and love it but a pro needs pro gear and that means full frame, the low light performance of full frame is on a whole different league.
Any camera you will get from Sony new lineup will be good but not pro good, think well before you buy something that will not suit you in the future and hold you back for doing the job clients expect you you do and give the level and quality of product you should give.
If you are serious about working as a photographer then get the money you need to build your business and get the pro gear.
There are no shrort cuts if you are serious about being a pro and from my life experience the more shortcuts you will take the loger the road will be!

Some pro are very happy with the a77.

Sony has pro lenses too...

Some pro are very happy with the a77.

Sony has pro lenses too...
I am sure they are but if you need to shoot in low light sutuation the a77 is not at its best, no crop sensor camera is at its best.
A pro need to have the best equipment to do its job, you cant tell your client Ahhh sorry but I dont have enough light to take the shot or you take the shot with high ISO and get a very grainy picture.

I think a serious pro needs a full frame camera and maybe have a crop sensor camera as a backup or second body.

Most reactions

Back