Upgrading to an FX body

hanna95mead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a D5000, which I've had for about a year. I would like to upgrade to a FX body. I was thinking maybe selling the D5000 and put that money, along with saved up money for buying the D700. Is this worth it? When should one upgrade to a FX body? Thanks.

Dont stretch you budget on a body unless you have money to buy nice lenses too.

Before the tsunami, I would have said yes, the D700 is definitely worth it, but the prices went all wonky and still haven't really recovered.

I hate to be one of those guys, since I've been making fun of those guys for about two years now, but at this point, I would probably hold off on picking up a new or used D700 until the D4 or D800 are released. That release should have a stabilizing effect on the D700 price.

What lenses do you currently have?

The best time to buy a new Nikon body is when it is first released. You'll probably be able to use it for four years before it is replaced by another body in the same class. Nikon has been releasing its high-end bodies on roughly a four year schedule. If you want to save some money, look for a good deal on a used D700. Pre-Christmas often is a period with some good deals on gear, as is the first two weeks of April (just prior to tax day).

Personally, I'd wait to see what happens with the impending D4/D400/D800 releases do. So far, none of them tickle my fancy, but if they sell like hotcakes, I may be able to pick up a D700 dirt cheap.

What glass do you have now with the D5000?

thanks for the input.
And for those wanting to know what lenses I have:
18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR AF-S DX
55-200mm f/4-5.6G AF-S DX (came with kit also)
50mm 1.8 G

I had gotten the 85mm 1.8 AF D, but I hadn't realized at how much of a disadvantage it would be without having the auto focusing, so I'm returning it.
I'm a kid so I'm poor and can't afford much ha

thanks for the input.
50mm 1.8 G

I had gotten the 85mm 1.8 AF D, but I hadn't realized at how much of a disadvantage it would be without having the auto focusing, so I'm returning it.

The suggestion with that list would be to invest in better lenses first.

Do you know particularly what you like to shoot, or what focal lengths you tend to use etc? From there can look at better lenses then once you have those look at upgrading your body. Lenses (along with lighting equipment depending on what you shoot (hard to light a landscape with strobes...)) will make a greater difference to your shots.

I like to shoot people and portraits. I'd also like to get into fashion.
With fashion, I'm not sure which longer focal lengths would be best.

By the time your done saving up the D800 will probably be officially announced. Probably.

...........And for those wanting to know what lenses I have:
50mm 1.8 G.........

Two of those three are DX lenses. While they will work on an FX body, you'll need to shoot in DX mode with them. As suggested, you'd be better off investing in better glass instead.

I bought two of Nikon's FX lenses and then went to a D700. That body is NIGHT and DAY over my D7000, D5000, and D80. I only have the D80 now as a backup body, and am loving that cam for more reasons than just the obvious such as pic ISO and build quality.

for what you upgrade you camera? are you profesional photographer? if yes, yup you must have a FX camera, but if not,i think you just need good lenses for your D5000. I have D3000 and don't think to upgrade to higer series because i am just hobbies, but think about good lenses :)

thanks for the input.
50mm 1.8 G

If you have the intent of upgrading to FX soon then I would hang onto the 85 1.8D. It's a dandy of a lens. Like 2wheel stated, I would buy some good glass that you can use on your current body and then upgrade. Since you stated you weren't Daddy Warbucks keep in mind going FX can pack a sucker punch to the wallet.

The best time to buy a new Nikon body is when it is first released. You'll probably be able to use it for four years before it is replaced by another body in the same class. Nikon has been releasing its high-end bodies on roughly a four year schedule. If you want to save some money, look for a good deal on a used D700. Pre-Christmas often is a period with some good deals on gear, as is the first two weeks of April (just prior to tax day).

Totally agree.

Most reactions

Back