Upgrading to an FX body

I only see 5 reasons for you to switch from DX to FX:
1. You came from Film camera and cannot get used to DX
2. You shoot mostly (Landscapes and Portraits) wide.
3. You want/need higher ISO performance.
4. You want/need features that are in the latest & greatest "Pro" body.
5. You need the weather sealing and durability of a "Pro" body.

These can be fairly compelling reasons.

The best time to buy a new Nikon body is when it is first released. You'll probably be able to use it for four years before it is replaced by another body in the same class. Nikon has been releasing its high-end bodies on roughly a four year schedule. If you want to save some money, look for a good deal on a used D700. Pre-Christmas often is a period with some good deals on gear, as is the first two weeks of April (just prior to tax day).

Quoted for agreement.

Dont stretch you budget on a body unless you have money to buy nice lenses too.

I don't agree with this... except when it comes to someone with DX lenses. I went through the same thing... bought three FX lenses and now am waiting for my new FX camera to arrive.

It's a steep climb.

I have a D5000, which I've had for about a year. I would like to upgrade to a FX body. I was thinking maybe selling the D5000 and put that money, along with saved up money for buying the D700. Is this worth it? When should one upgrade to a FX body? Thanks.

When should one upgrade to a FX body?

Why do you feel or think you need the FX format over the DX? Is it because of something you think your pictures are lacking? Is it because you have become bored with your present rig? Is it because of something you read on this or another forum. There is nothing wrong with any of these reasons as long as you can afford it.

As far as DX versus FF I honestly believe that most times it is a matter of want more than need. Some motorists whose needs are being filled by a Honda Civic may lust for a Cadillac Escalade. I could easily afford an FF camera with quality lenses but since photography is a hobby for me and I'm mostly interested in macro I don't feel a real need for an FF body. Would there be a benefit I'm not aware of when shooting macro if I had a D700 instead of my D7000? If there is a benefit would the cost difference be justified? I believe it is human nature for people to lust after things they cannot afford believing their life would be so much better by owning those things.

For those who own FF bodies please don't take offense because I do believe many photographers buy an FF body based on need. But I can't help but believe that many move up to FF based on "want" without being able to state where their DX is lacking. Also if money is not an issue go for it. But if I was in the position where I had to sacrifice and pinch pennies to purchase an FF body when my DX is serving my purpose I would have to think long and hard before doing so.

Jerry

jriepe said:
As far as DX versus FF I honestly believe that most times it is a matter of want more than need. Some motorists whose needs are being filled by a Honda Civic may lust for a Cadillac Escalade. I could easily afford an FF camera with quality lenses but since photography is a hobby for me and I'm mostly interested in macro I don't feel a real need for an FF body. Would there be a benefit I'm not aware of when shooting macro if I had a D700 instead of my D7000? If there is a benefit would the cost difference be justified? I believe it is human nature for people to lust after things they cannot afford believing their life would be so much better by owning those things.

For those who own FF bodies please don't take offense because I do believe many photographers buy an FF body based on need. But I can't help but believe that many move up to FF based on "want" without being able to state where their DX is lacking. Also if money is not an issue go for it. But if I was in the position where I had to sacrifice and pinch pennies to purchase an FF body when my DX is serving my purpose I would have to think long and hard before doing so.

Jerry

Likely true though there is also an image quality difference that one may not "need" but may want. Though honestly I know many who would not truly see the difference.

Likely true though there is also an image quality difference that one may not "need" but may want. Though honestly I know many who would not truly see the difference.[/QUOTE]

Manaheim,

I won't dispute this statement because I'm sure it's true. As far as ones not being able to see the difference that's the category I fall into because when I view an image I have a tendency to overlook imperfections that others notice immediately. I like sharp, detailed images but I'm not nit picky and my D7000 produces images that I am perfectly fine with. As far as image quality I'm also happy with the ones my D80's are kicking out. That is after PP of course with any of the three camera.

Jerry

You guys talk yourselves into believing the pro cams and the pro-sumer D700 compared to croppers is only a "subtle" difference
bigthumb.gif

You forgot to add one

#6 It produces files that your clients expect.

If file size/sensor size is irrelevant then why do most big time fashion/magazine shooters use hassys and the likes??

You forgot to add one

If file size/sensor size is irrelevant then why do most big time fashion/magazine shooters use hassys and the likes??

Because it is what they have developed their techniques with. Most of them have moved from 2 1/4 film to 2 1/4 digital. Same lenses etc. etc.

jake337 said:
You forgot to add one

This is a very silly statement and question.

hanna95mead said:
I have a D5000, which I've had for about a year. I would like to upgrade to a FX body. I was thinking maybe selling the D5000 and put that money, along with saved up money for buying the D700. Is this worth it? When should one upgrade to a FX body? Thanks.

Upgrading to fx is great.... But make sure you realize that dx lenses don't work for a fx camera.... It could add considerable cost to your upgrade!!!! I think the smartest upgrades are in the glass.... An amazing lens can serve you well for many years. Put an inferior quality lens on a d3x and you still wont have the quality... But put a pro lens on a lower grade camera and it will amaze you with the visible difference!!!!! Camera bodies tend to come and go quickly because of changing technology. Just my humble opinion :) and personal experience. ;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back