mhafweet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.matchlessmemories.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I'm currently using a Nikon D50 with an 18-200mm 3/3.5-5.6 VR lens. I'm feeling its limitations and need an upgrade.

I'm planning on a Canon EOS 5D Mark II. I need some help searching for lenses...

- Lens needs to be compatible with a full chip. How do I search for this feature?
- I like that I don't have to switch lenses right now, but I'm also not happy that my current lens doesn't give crisp focus on the extremes (it really struggles between 160-200mm). I want to keep to two zoomable lenses that will work in most situations. What ##mm range do you recommend?
- I appreciated Nikon's VR feature. Is the Canon "IS" essentially vibration reduction? Is it in-lens or in-camera?

I'm shooting weddings for $$, but my ultimate goal is international photojournalism. I'm currently volunteering for my school's newspaper, shooting sports and such. I'm a student, so I don't have an endless pocket here, but I want to invest in some good glass that can be resold when I'm done with it.

Thanks!

First question - why are you considering changing to Canon from Nikon?
Also what is the full budget you have for this upgrade/change over?

Wow.. you have been shooting weddings with only 1 lens? I hope you have enough $$ to buy multiple lenses when you buy the 5D mk2.

For 5D MK2 you always want to get the L lenses. Cool thing with Canon is that all EF lenses will fit all cameras. But do not buy EF-S lenses as they're not made for FF bodies. I would go with 24-70 2.8L (although I chose 24-105 4L and have absolutely no issue with the ISO capabilities of the 5D mk2) 72-200 2.8 IS (or the MK2 version, which is what I went with) and also pick up a 16-35mm 2.8 down the road. Although, I'd say picking up 16-35 would be ideal with a 50mm 1.4 (or 1.2) and a 70-200 2.8

Between 35-50 you won't miss much and between 50-70 you won't miss much either IMO but some may argue. G' luck. I hope you enjoy your new switch!

With that said, I know you're a student but at the same time you asked for the best lenses, so I gave you the lenses.

16-35 = $1400
24-70 = $1200-$1300
24-105 = $1000 alone but if paired with your 5D MK2 it's $800
70-200 2.8L MK2 = $2200

I want to keep to two zoomable lenses that will work in most situations. What ##mm range do you recommend?

<snip>
I'm shooting weddings for $$, but my ultimate goal is international photojournalism.

<snip>

but I want to invest in some good glass that can be resold when I'm done with it.

A 28-300mm lens offers the same field of view on a 5D Mark II that a 18-200mm lens offers on a Nikon D50.

"two zoomable lenses that will work in most situations":

24-105 f/4
100-400 f/4.5 - 5.6

or

17-40 f/4
70-200 f/4 IS

... for example. It doesn't get much cheaper than this if you want two zooms with good resale value. IMO.

I have been shooting with my original 5D for years and just picked up a Mark II. The lens I use most is easily the 70-200 II on and off the 2x Extender, and if I had to choose just one other body I'd likely go with the 24-70. It's wide enough on full frame where I can position myself to get the shot I need 99% of the time. I've yet to shoot a wedding, but I have shot a few graduations which seem somewhat similar. For those circumstances the 70-200 IS II and 24-70 are razor sharp.

A 28-300mm lens offers the same field of view on a 5D Mark II that a 18-200mm lens offers on a Nikon D50.

This is an interesting option, as I used one for a time at the track on my 1D II. I loved the versatility of the zoom range, and would imagine that the 28-300 L would make a formidable and convenient lens given the high ISO capability of the 5D II.

For weddings and photojournalism, I wouldnt choose a 5DMK2 unless video is high priority... I would choose the D700. Better/more consistent flash and better/faster focusing are among a couple of the reasons. Plus it seems if you would already be used to the ergonomics of Nikon having owned the D50.

Last edited:
Both Nikon and Canon are top brands.
You have not stated why you will not be shooting Nikon anymore???

Is there a reason to jump to the 5Dmii?
It is a great camera, but not inexpensive for a student.

If you do decide to shoot with 5dmii, the 24-70 is a great lens match with this camera. This combo is almost $4000, unless you find both used. The lens I mentioned may not suit your needs completely though....

I'm making the switch partially for focusing reasons and partially because Canon's technological research track record impresses me.

I almost never use my on-camera flash, and I've never been pleased with the results when I have used it. Video isn't something I've used yet, but upcoming classes will require me to learn how to shoot video. I don't mind learning different technology... Could be good for me, instead of relying on the features I already know.

....you always want to get the L lenses. Cool thing with Canon is that all EF lenses will fit all cameras. But do not buy EF-S lenses as they're not made for FF bodies.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Budget? Basically... figure out what I need and sacrifice to make the necessary changes.

CMT, what do you shoot, if not weddings?

Thanks all, for your help!

I'm making the switch partially for focusing reasons and partially because Canon's technological research track record impresses me.

I almost never use my on-camera flash, and I've never been pleased with the results when I have used it. Video isn't something I've used yet, but upcoming classes will require me to learn how to shoot video. I don't mind learning different technology... Could be good for me, instead of relying on the features I already know.

....you always want to get the L lenses. Cool thing with Canon is that all EF lenses will fit all cameras. But do not buy EF-S lenses as they're not made for FF bodies.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Budget? Basically... figure out what I need and sacrifice to make the necessary changes.

CMT, what do you shoot, if not weddings?

Thanks all, for your help!

I think you need to do some more research on which camera body will fit you. Canon 5dmk2 and Nikon D700 are two very different camera. The 5dmk2 AF system is very limited and slow. I know because my buddy shoots with a 5dmk2 and he switch from a D700 and now regret it because of the 5d2 very weak AF system. The Canon 7D even has a much better AF system.

Since you say it's mainly for wedding/photojournalism, I'd look into the Canon 7D. If it was me, I'd get the Nikon D7000. It's great for what you do and you can keep your current lens and put the money on new faster primes/zooms.

...I'd get the Nikon D7000. It's great for what you do and you can keep your current lens and put the money on new faster primes/zooms.

Except that it's still consumer-level build-quality. Plastic chassis, lack of weather-sealing, etc. I would strongly recommend going for a higher-end build-quality body.

Wow...if you are making the switch for "focusing reasons", you definitely are picking the WRONG body--the 5D series has a very weak focusing module in it...get a Nikon D700 if you want a camera that can actually focus under demanding situations. That way you'd have a full-frame sensor AND a professional-level autofocusing system.

I have to agree, if your primary concern is AF the 5D2 is not the most advanced camera... not even close. While the AF system works great it's better suited for studio work than PJ work.

That, and the 5D2 isn't weather sealed like the D700/D3 or the 1D series of cameras. You might want to look into a used 1D3 or 1D2N if you're serious about PJ work and want a rugged body that can withstand the elements and also focus in the most demanding of conditions.

Of course the D700 and D3 are viable options as well.

I shoot with a 5D2 and 1D4 and my 5D2 goes with me more often than my 1D4 does, but then I'm not a PJ. It produces stunning image quality. But when I have to get the shot of something that's moving or might be unpredictable, I reach for the 1D4.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back