Upgrading to FX, What lenses do I need? I'm losing my mind.

B-b-b-but part of your OP was.....
.......I'm going to purchase a D700, but I've now lost my mind trying to figure out what lenses I should get. Money isn't the real issue, I just don't want to make stupid choices.
:lol:

Primes on the D700 work fantastically. They (primes) will actually help you figure out composition faster than zooms. I have 6 and use the 50mm f/1.8 the least. It's a great bang for the buck, but IMO the nifty fifty is not worthy of the D700.

The Holy Trinity that I first commented on, the 14-24mm is probably the least I would push on anyone. I don't consider it a specialty lens as The_Traveler, but for day-to-day useage, it has the least value.

B-b-b-but part of your OP was.....
.......I'm going to purchase a D700, but I've now lost my mind trying to figure out what lenses I should get. Money isn't the real issue, I just don't want to make stupid choices.
:lol:

Primes on the D700 work fantastically. They (primes) will actually help you figure out composition faster than zooms. I have 6 and use the 50mm f/1.8 the least. It's a great bang for the buck, but IMO the nifty fifty is not worthy of the D700.

The Holy Trinity that I first commented on, the 14-24mm is probably the least I would push on anyone. I don't consider it a specialty lens as The_Traveler, but for day-to-day useage, it has the least value.

Pricey! They Are! I don't mind spending the money, I just stress out over figuring out what I really need and making the wrong choices. I have issues!:confused:

I like the primes direction and would love the 70-200. But, I also go hiking and do nature shots. Any suggestions on good lenses for that?

Here's a quality full-frame kit that won't completely break the bank:

Prices are estimates for near-mint used:

Nikon 20mm f2.8 AF-D = $350
50mm f1.8g = $200
Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 AF = $350
Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D two-ring = $625

My wife yelled at me (not really, more like admonished me) for stressing and worrying. She said "spend the money and get what you really want and need!" I LOVE MY WIFE!

So here's what I think:

About me:
1. when I'm out in hiking, I don't like to change lenses
2. When I do landscapes, I want a sharp prime
C. I do like closeups and selective focus
4. I want to improve in the areas of portraits and wide landscapes.

So,
To Start:
First: Nikon 24-70 F/2.8 (buy this first and play with it on my D60 until I get the D700 or D800
Second: Nikon 70-200 F/2.8 (I like longish zooms)

Then add:
3. Some type of wide angle (not sure I want the 14-24 for the full Trinity)
D. Nikon 85mm 1.4g or 1.8g (for portraits, my newest interest)
5. Some type of Macro.
6. Some Standard type of fast prime for sharp landscapes.

And if not the D700, go ahead and get the D800
Keep the D60 as a backup, at least for a while. It only has 9,000 clicks on it.

Thoughts?

My wife yelled at me (not really, more like admonished me) for stressing and worrying. She said "spend the money and get what you really want and need!" I LOVE MY WIFE!

So here's what I think:

About me:
1. when I'm out in hiking, I don't like to change lenses
2. When I do landscapes, I want a sharp prime
C. I do like closeups and selective focus
4. I want to improve in the areas of portraits and wide landscapes.

So,
To Start:
First: Nikon 24-70 F/2.8 (buy this first and play with it on my D60 until I get the D700 or D800
Second: Nikon 70-200 F/2.8 (I like longish zooms)

Then add:
3. Some type of wide angle (not sure I want the 14-24 for the full Trinity)
D. Nikon 85mm 1.4g or 1.8g (for portraits, my newest interest)
5. Some type of Macro.
6. Some Standard type of fast prime for sharp landscapes.

And if not the D700, go ahead and get the D800
Keep the D60 as a backup, at least for a while. It only has 9,000 clicks on it.

Thoughts?

Wow, I have to say I'm confused just by reading through this thread so no wonder you are feeling confused mate! :lol:

The 70-200 2.8 VR seems to suit your style so why not get it? It is also great for portrait shots as well meaning you don't necessarily need a 85 1.4 or 1.8. If you want a prime for landscapes, why not the 24 1.4 or 35 1.4? I think the 35 1.4 makes a great walk around prime lens and will work for landscape shots aswell.

Why don't just start off with two lenses like this??

[/QUOTE]Wow, I have to say I'm confused just by reading through this thread so no wonder you are feeling confused mate! :lol:

The 70-200 2.8 VR seems to suit your style so why not get it? It is also great for portrait shots as well meaning you don't necessarily need a 85 1.4 or 1.8. If you want a prime for landscapes, why not the 24 1.4 or 35 1.4? I think the 35 1.4 makes a great walk around prime lens and will work for landscape shots aswell.

Why don't just start off with two lenses like this??[/QUOTE]

I overcomplicate everything:meh:

I think what you're suggestion is a good alternative to consider. I would like to do more with primes. So I'll do some more obsessing, I mean worrying..............I mean planning.

Thanks!

Last edited:
My 70-200 f/2.8 VR II is my favourite lens. I use it the second most next to my 50 f/1.4
Don't be afraid to buy a used Tamron 17-50 and then sell it when you upgrade to fullframe.

Wow, I have to say I'm confused just by reading through this thread so no wonder you are feeling confused mate! :lol:

Why don't just start off with two lenses like this??[/QUOTE]

I overcomplicate everything:meh:

I think what you're suggestion is a good alternative to consider. I would like to do more with primes. So I'll do some more obsessing, I mean worrying..............I mean planning.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

You actually remind me of myself! :lol: I just wish I had the budget to buy a 70-200 VR! If you have the budget for that lens, then you seriously need to buy one. :drool:

A great telephoto ZOOM is an extremely useful lens as it will be used for things you generally can't get too by walking, so I reckon you should place most importance on getting the BEST telephoto zoom you can afford seeing as alot of your photography seems to be in the telephoto category. With a 35mm 1.4, you can use the power of foot zoom to get the composition you want.

Need opinions!
I'm somewhere between advanced amateur and semi-pro. I currently have a D60 with 2 basic zooms. Yes, it's a beginner camera but it's all I could afford when I purchased it. I've been shooting for over 30 years using: Minolta XG-1 and x700, Canon AE-1P, Nikon N8008, Mamiya Medium Format, Omega 4x5 view camera, fujifilm digital and then the D60. Plus lots of time in the darkroom.
I now want to move up to something more suited for my experience. I want to keep the D60 as a backup.
I'm going to purchase a D700, but I've now lost my mind trying to figure out what lenses I should get. Money isn't the real issue, I just don't want to make stupid choices.

I started off thinking about the 85mm 1.4g because I want to grow in the area of portraits. But now the 85mm 1.8g confused me. I would like to have some fast lenses. I'm trying to decide if I want primes, zooms or a combination. I shoot just about anything except sports. Lots of nature, some closeups.

Here is my Flickr page so you can see what I'm doing.http://www.flickr.com/photos/74324897@N06/

I'm trying to create my lens list (1,2,3,4) and I've researched to the point of brain fry and I need some help.

I would really appreciate some thoughts and advice.
Thanks!

I believe you were asking the same thing over at the Nikon Cafe. IMHO no one can advise what lenses to buy. That all depends on what your needs are. If you can't figure out what your needs are your in the wrong hobby/profession. Your putting the cart before the horse. Best of luck, your going to need it.:grumpy:

Need opinions!
I'm somewhere between advanced amateur and semi-pro. I currently have a D60 with 2 basic zooms. Yes, it's a beginner camera but it's all I could afford when I purchased it. I've been shooting for over 30 years using: Minolta XG-1 and x700, Canon AE-1P, Nikon N8008, Mamiya Medium Format, Omega 4x5 view camera, fujifilm digital and then the D60. Plus lots of time in the darkroom.
I now want to move up to something more suited for my experience. I want to keep the D60 as a backup.
I'm going to purchase a D700, but I've now lost my mind trying to figure out what lenses I should get. Money isn't the real issue, I just don't want to make stupid choices.

I started off thinking about the 85mm 1.4g because I want to grow in the area of portraits. But now the 85mm 1.8g confused me. I would like to have some fast lenses. I'm trying to decide if I want primes, zooms or a combination. I shoot just about anything except sports. Lots of nature, some closeups.

Here is my Flickr page so you can see what I'm doing.http://www.flickr.com/photos/74324897@N06/

I'm trying to create my lens list (1,2,3,4) and I've researched to the point of brain fry and I need some help.

Thanks!

I believe you were asking the same thing over at the Nikon Cafe. IMHO no one can advise what lenses to buy. That all depends on what your needs are. If you can't figure out what your needs are your in the wrong hobby/profession. Your putting the cart before the horse. Best of luck, your going to need it.:grumpy:

Dear Motordrive. Wow. Ok.
1. I don't know what Nikon Cafe is.
2. I have ideas and am working it out. I would just like some input on quality and possibly the order in which I purchase this gear.
3. I've been in this hobby since 1975 when I was 8 years old. I'm just trying to be wise. As such, I'm just seeking people's opinions who have been involved with digital gear longer, and more intensely than I.
4. I'm not sure how I'm putting the cart before the horse. I know what I like to shoot. I know areas and gear where I've been negligent. I want to grow. So I'm asking questions.
5. "Best of luck, you're going to need it.:grumpy:" I'm not sure what your problem is, but I'm sure there's a medication for it.
6. I believe you mean to use the verbal contraction "you're" when you instead type "your." Just trying to help.

Last edited:
Need opinions!

Thanks!

Dear Motordrive. Wow. Ok.
1. I don't know what Nikon Cafe is.
2. I have ideas and am working it out. I would just like some input on quality and possibly the order in which I purchase this gear.
3. I've been in this hobby since 1975 when I was 8 years old. I'm just trying to be wise. As such, I'm just seeking people's opinions who have been involved with digital gear longer, and more intensely than I.
4. I'm not sure how I'm putting the cart before the horse. I know what I like to shoot. I know areas and gear where I've been negligent. I want to grow. So I'm asking questions.
5. "Best of luck, you're going to need it.:grumpy:" I'm not sure what your problem is, but I'm sure there's a medication for it.
6. I believe you mean to use the verbal contraction "you're" when you instead type "your." Just trying to help.

I apologize if that was not you on the Nikon Cafe (another forum). Your right, my grammar is not spot on but you just stated "I know what I like to shoot" so if that is the case that should be telling you what type of lens to buy. A do everything consumer zoom, or a couple of prime lenses to cover your area of interest, or a couple semi/pro zooms. Just depends how much money you want to spend. As I said before nobody can suggest to you what to buy. As far as what certain lenses are capable of there are many reviews available out there. Coming from film to digital is still photography. The cameras just use a different medium to capture the image. When I left film for digital I was able to bring all my lenses with me. Granted, digital cameras are miniature computers but the basics remain the same. Sorry I came on rather strong in my original post. I do wish you well in your quest but I believe your making it harder then it needs to be.

So up to four lens? You seem comfortable with manually taking exposures, right. You stated money isn't a big issue but I'm not sure how large of a budget your talking?

Maybe some older pro nikkor AIS lens may fit you well. You could change all the AIS to AF-S or AF-D for autofocusing but the prices will jump dramatically, especially on the long end.

35mm f1.4 ais
50mm f1.2 ais
85mm f1.4 ais
135mm f2 ais
200mm f2 ais
300mm f2.8 ais

[/QUOTE]I apologize if that was not you on the Nikon Cafe (another forum). Your right, my grammar is not spot on but you just stated "I know what I like to shoot" so if that is the case that should be telling you what type of lens to buy. A do everything consumer zoom, or a couple of prime lenses to cover your area of interest, or a couple semi/pro zooms. Just depends how much money you want to spend. As I said before nobody can suggest to you what to buy. As far as what certain lenses are capable of there are many reviews available out there. Coming from film to digital is still photography. The cameras just use a different medium to capture the image. When I left film for digital I was able to bring all my lenses with me. Granted, digital cameras are miniature computers but the basics remain the same. Sorry I came on rather strong in my original post. I do wish you well in your quest but I believe your making it harder then it needs to be.[/QUOTE]

No problem. I apologize for the snarky response. I agree that no one can tell me what type of lens to buy, or which to buy. But I have no photographer friends and the only real photo store nearby is lame (only carrying consumer gear unless one special orders something). They only seem to want to help if you take one of their classes. I've read lots of reviews, but when I've narrowed down my choices it's nice to actually interact with people who have used those lenses in the types of situations I would. So, that's why I'm asking. Plus the fact that for whatever reason, I've only used zooms for the last 20 years and I'm relatively ignorant about primes. That's the basis for my questions. I do appreciate your response, insight and well wishes.

So up to four lens? You seem comfortable with manually taking exposures, right. You stated money isn't a big issue but I'm not sure how large of a budget your talking?

Maybe some older pro nikkor AIS lens may fit you well. You could change all the AIS to AF-S or AF-D for autofocusing but the prices will jump dramatically, especially on the long end.

35mm f1.4 ais
50mm f1.2 ais
85mm f1.4 ais
135mm f2 ais
200mm f2 ais
300mm f2.8 ais

Well, I see this as a process, not an all at once shopping spree.:p However, with my wife's encouragement, I could go buy all the pieces this afternoon. (BTW- I'm not wealthy, we just have no debt and a lot of investments and savings. Plus my wife wants me to go ahead and get good gear)

I overthink everything. So it takes me a while to process all the variables.

But my first narrowed down version was the "Holy Trinity" (14-24, 24-70,70-200: all 2.8s). When I'm out hiking and the like, I hate changing lenses, so zooms seem ideal. When doing still lifes and using a tripod, I love changing lenses. Thus, my conundrum, zooms or primes. I tossed out the idea of the 14-24, thinking of a prime for wide angle (probably an AF or AF-S). The two zooms I mentioned seem like a good plan for my hiking exploring needs. So, add to that a few really good fast, sharp prime for landscapes, maybe one for portraits and a macro, as a long term goal. I think that's close to my final plan.

Thanks,
Jim

1) 14-24mm f/2.8
2) 24-70mm f/2.8
3) 70-200mm f/2.8
4) 105mm f/2.8 micro
That should get you going.

Funny. My first 3 lenses I purchased were the 14-24 2.8, the 24-70 2.8, and the 70-200 2.8.

I'm thinking of adding the 85 1.4g. Interested to hear people's thoughts on the 85 1.4g lens (especially vs the new 85 1.8g). I currently shoot with a D90, but have a D800 on order.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back