Uploading to social media - help

CThomas817

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am trying to upload a recent shoot to Facebook and my images are coming out HORRIBLE. Intense noise around edges, blur, poor color, etc. I have done this many times and I usually resize the long edge to 2048 and save in sRGB. They never look as crisp as I want them but for whatever reason this set is looking particularly bad. I tried resizing one image to 960 just to see and it looked even worse. I am uploading high resolution in a photo album rather than a direct post.

I work in Photoshop and keep the files at 300 ppi after I resize them. I tried lowering ppi to 96 and it also made the image worse.

What else can I try or am I having a brain fart and forgetting a step??

300 ppi and 2048 longest edge. - I use 4096 and relaxing on the resizing algorithm and it works ok for me..

Here's a link that might help. How can I make sure that my photos display in the highest possible quality? | Facebook Help Center | Facebook In particular I found it interesting that they claim "To avoid compression when you upload your cover photo, make sure the file size is less than 100KB". As practical use matter, I've found they crush the $$$$ out of everything regardless. I've had less problems uploading PNG files, but still the quality is horrendous. If I want a really good image to display, I use a link to my Flickr page or other online storage site. You can "check the box to create a higher quality image" when you create an album in FB, but the option isn't available when uploading to your feed.

300 ppi and 2048 longest edge. - I use 4096 and relaxing on the resizing algorithm and it works ok for me..

That's what I did and always do... but these are looking worse than usual. I wonder... I usually create my social media size image from the raw file and with these I resized from the final compressed JPEG's. Would that make a difference?

resize the raw file, if you are resizing jpg you're applying the jpg compression twice I always work the RAW then resize, then resize the final edits from RAW in PS.

EDIT: The exception is here, sometimes I am resizing the final jpg cuts to size

Here's a link that might help. How can I make sure that my photos display in the highest possible quality? | Facebook Help Center | Facebook In particular I found it interesting that they claim "To avoid compression when you upload your cover photo, make sure the file size is less than 100KB". As practical use matter, I've found they crush the $$$$ out of everything regardless. I've had less problems uploading PNG files, but still the quality is horrendous. If I want a really good image to display, I use a link to my Flickr page or other online storage site. You can "check the box to create a higher quality image" when you create an album in FB, but the option isn't available when uploading to your feed.
resize the raw file, if you are resizing jpg you're applying the jpg compression twice I always work the RAW then resize, then resize the final edits from RAW in PS.

EDIT: The exception is here, sometimes I am resizing the final jpg cuts to size

Ok thanks that makes sense.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back