TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is 2 pictures I took on Monday

b0e18e03a468092961d613cfd067ad8c.jpg

2c6fc8fb71f2d89cd8341c1d6464f6d8.jpg

hope you like them

#1 is pretty cool. maybe underexposed a little? but i like the composition.

#2 though is way too underexposed, try metering off the "structure" next time, unless you were aiming for a silhouette...

I like them both and I do find #1 to be a little dark. I suggest going back for a reshoot, it looks like the weather wasnt the best. I'd like to see these with beter lightning and cloud cover.

Whats that building(Dome Looking) behind the crane in the second pic? Looks interesting, I'd love to see better pics of it

Hey! Welcome to TPF.

You have a good eye for some nice subjects, it seems. Now you need to try to make them look interesting in the far restrictred view of your camera. What's often interesting to our eyes can be less exciting when cut down to a smaller size and without all the various environmental things going on.

Look for neat angles, interesting light (dusk and dawn, for example), unique perspectives, cool patterns, interesting details, that sort of thing.

If you're local to places it makes a lot of sense to keep going back and trying again. You can learn a lot that way when your subject doesn't change much aside from environmental factors.

Keep at it!

Hey! Welcome to TPF.

You have a good eye for some nice subjects, it seems. Now you need to try to make them look interesting in the far restrictred view of your camera. What's often interesting to our eyes can be less exciting when cut down to a smaller size and without all the various environmental things going on.

Look for neat angles, interesting light (dusk and dawn, for example), unique perspectives, cool patterns, interesting details, that sort of thing.

If you're local to places it makes a lot of sense to keep going back and trying again. You can learn a lot that way when your subject doesn't change much aside from environmental factors.

Keep at it!

Got an example of that you can show us?

thanks for the critique but i think the dullness is maybe caused by my pp, bringing the clouds out more
here is the originals and the building in the background is the S.E.C.C (Scottish Exhibition + Conference Centre )

click the image to see larger version

Well, no, the moodiness of it is kinda nice. It's just that the composition wasn't interesting for me, personally.

However one thing I've also noticed is that sometimes shots like this are very much a local thing... like the particular composition may be absolutely adored by people who live in the area near the objects in question, and be totally uninteresting to others. What I think is happening in these cases is there isn't so much a general photographic appeal to the image as there is a local one.

Not sure if this is the case here... but it's possible.

Assuming you don't mind me posting my pics in your thread (and assuming that this is what abraxas was asking for example-wise), here are some pictures of the local Zakim bridge here in Boston, MA, USA.

Interesting lighting example...

boston_zakimnight.jpg

Interesting perspective and angle example... (from a helicopter, banking over the bridge at what was a very disconcerting angle :lol:)

zakim_whoa.jpg

I'm liking #1, but I do agree that a different angle would help that shot a lot.

What manaheim said about the appeal of something local might be a part of that.

For example,I'm loving the two shots he showed because: A. They killed the lights on the Zakim to save money, and B. I'm looking for my car in traffic. So much better looking than the Central Artery.

They appeal to me more because that a place where I am frequently.

a095d9bcfead648810716f817fb8dc55.jpg

taken at 18mm, unfortunately there was construction going on next to it, took me 2 hours to get there...
traffic was terrible
then 2 hours back home, should have been only 1 hour total journer, but traffic was so bad it added an extra 3 hours on... it better have been worth it :D

here's another one (taken with my now 50mm f1.8 but it was too close so stitched it together
4657801af671649cd4b9202a3989ea3d.jpg

Most reactions

Back