URGENT: Need help choosing camera for Christmas

chocoholic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I need to choose a camera to either buy on sale tomorrow or wait till boxing day and see what I can get my hands on. Taking pictures Christmas day isn't going to be done with this camera do to learning curve (I'll just use my parent's camera) so that's not a factor. Tomorrow I can buy a Canon T3 (NOT T3i) for $340 Canadian, which is about $60 less than I have ever seen it since I have been looking over the last year (I don't know what they sell for in the US, but are frequently on sale for $400 here even though listed at $500. I don't mean to ask too many questions in one post, but there are a few things I need to know.

Let me preface that I can't say for sure all of what I will be using the camera for long term, but short term I am interested in taking pictures of both family events (which I realize I could more easily do with a point and shoot) but especially nature photography. I would like to take bird photos, but my current camera just can't take a decent picture of one unless I am so close that it flies away. I also want to take pictures of sunsets, etc. and the ones I currently take look fantastic except that the resolution (5MP) and jpeg compression artifacts (can't take RAW format) limit me to 4x6 images. After reading this and my questions, if you think it sounds like I am better of with something like a superzoom point and shoot or whatever, just say so, but remember that I must have a viewfinder to be happy, so any cost of adding one should be taken into account.

1) Is the T3 an obsolete model and will any lenses I buy for it be compatible with upcoming Canon DSLR cameras, because it seems to me that the lenses are worth more than the actual camera?

2) My uncle was recommending I consider a micro 5/4 system instead because he said you aren't stuck with only Canon lens. I can reach him right now to ask him, so tell me please if this is a cost issue or likely more of a subjective thing. I know he likes his camera to be small, I am not so concerned with that. His camera is, I believe, an Olympus PM-1. It seems to me that it might be a less expensive camera, but by the time I buy the EVF (I MUST have a viewfinder), I think it is more than the cost of the Canon, additional lenses not withstanding.

3) Cost really is the most limiting factor for me, but I also have to consider long term cost. Are there other DSLR cameras that perhaps have a really good bundle deal, such as sold with a telescopic lens as well as a wide angle lens or short zoom lens (if that is the correct terminology, and I doubt it is but hopefully you'll catch my intent.)

Thanks so much for your help.

I need to choose a camera to either buy on sale tomorrow or wait till boxing day and see what I can get my hands on. Taking pictures Christmas day isn't going to be done with this camera do to learning curve (I'll just use my parent's camera) so that's not a factor. Tomorrow I can buy a Canon T3 (NOT T3i) for $340 Canadian, which is about $60 less than I have ever seen it since I have been looking over the last year (I don't know what they sell for in the US, but are frequently on sale for $400 here even though listed at $500. I don't mean to ask too many questions in one post, but there are a few things I need to know.

In the US the prices are pretty much the same. You can find the camera at Amazon or B&H for $399.

Let me preface that I can't say for sure all of what I will be using the camera for long term, but short term I am interested in taking pictures of both family events (which I realize I could more easily do with a point and shoot) but especially nature photography. I would like to take bird photos, but my current camera just can't take a decent picture of one unless I am so close that it flies away. I also want to take pictures of sunsets, etc. and the ones I currently take look fantastic except that the resolution (5MP) and jpeg compression artifacts (can't take RAW format) limit me to 4x6 images. After reading this and my questions, if you think it sounds like I am better of with something like a superzoom point and shoot or whatever, just say so, but remember that I must have a viewfinder to be happy, so any cost of adding one should be taken into account.

1) Is the T3 an obsolete model and will any lenses I buy for it be compatible with upcoming Canon DSLR cameras, because it seems to me that the lenses are worth more than the actual camera?

It's certainly not "obsolete". Like all of the DSLRs, the camera has a target market. It's actually newer the T2i (they came out with the T3i and T3 at about the same time). The "target" for the T3 is to make an affordable entry-level camera. It's basically the least expensive DSLR in the current Canon product lineup.

ALL Canon "EOS" cameras use Canon's EOS lenses... "EF-S" lenses are designed specifically for crop-frame bodies. "EF" lenses are designed to work with either full-frame or crop-frame bodies. There are also a few specialty lenses (TS-E and MP-E) which are compatible. Basically if it's designed for EOS cameras, it'll work with the T3 as well as all the other Canon EOS bodies.

2) My uncle was recommending I consider a micro 5/4 system instead because he said you aren't stuck with only Canon lens. I can reach him right now to ask him, so tell me please if this is a cost issue or likely more of a subjective thing. I know he likes his camera to be small, I am not so concerned with that. His camera is, I believe, an Olympus PM-1. It seems to me that it might be a less expensive camera, but by the time I buy the EVF (I MUST have a viewfinder), I think it is more than the cost of the Canon, additional lenses not withstanding.

You're probably thinking of Micro 4/3rds. The problem with 4/3rds are twofold. (a) it's a significantly smaller sensor and (b) you lose phase-detection autofocus because there is no mirror. You'll get higher quality images with a T3. Canon alone (not counting all the 3rd party lenses) makes about 75 different lenses that work with the EOS bodies. Throw in Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc. and there are substantially more lenses.

There's definitely not more 4/3rds lenses available than there are EOS lenses. That's part of the reason people pick Canon or Nikon.

If I go to B&H and ask it to list ALL of the 4/3rds lenses (all brands) there are only 47 of them.

If I ask them to list the lenses compatible with the Canon EOS mount (all brands) there are 228! (Nikon, similarly has a huge lens selection.)

3) Cost really is the most limiting factor for me, but I also have to consider long term cost. Are there other DSLR cameras that perhaps have a really good bundle deal, such as sold with a telescopic lens as well as a wide angle lens or short zoom lens (if that is the correct terminology, and I doubt it is but hopefully you'll catch my intent.)

Thanks so much for your help.

The T3 is probably the _most_ affordable DSLR on the market for the money. The Nikon D3100 is comparable in quality and features but it's more expensive and the camera doesn't have an in-body focus motor. That means you'd be looking at Nikon's AF-S lenses and skipping the AF (without the "-S" suffix) lenses. Usually there's a slightly premium to the cost (sometimes it's not slight) for the fact that AF-S lenses have in-lens focus motors and AF lenses rely on the camera to have an in-body focus motor. If keeping the costs down is a major factor then you're probably better to go with the T3. Quality wise, both Canon and Nikon make excellent products and I don't think you could go wrong with either.

I almost forgot... we didn't deal with your long lens question.

The T3 kit comes with an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. On a budget, consider the 55-250mm or possibly the 75-300mm zoom. BTW, the 75-300mm really is a budget lens and is considered "mediocre" at best. It's most redeeming quality is that it's cheap. There's a 70-300mm (note one starts at 70, the other starts at 75) which is a completely different lens and much better quality. You can probably find a "used" version of the lens for a significant savings just so you'll have "something" to use, then save for a higher quality zoom that you can buy a some point in the future.

Last edited:
I fully concur with TCambell. But if you can afford a few more dollars, I'd suggest a T3i rather than the T3. More features, more pixels, etc.

As for getting a 70-300...check out the used equipment at B&H, Adorama, and others. The extra dollars now will save you from the disappointment of replacing the 75-300 sooner rather than later.

I fully concur with TCambell. But if you can afford a few more dollars, I'd suggest a T3i rather than the T3. More features, more pixels, etc.

As for getting a 70-300...check out the used equipment at B&H, Adorama, and others. The extra dollars now will save you from the disappointment of replacing the 75-300 sooner rather than later.

Thanks for that info, but what is the lowest price you've seen a t3i go for. Like I said, I tend to go for the boxing day sales events, but I really don't have $600 to put down on a camera right now. I was going to settle on the T3 because $340 is a comfortable amount of money for me. Now, if you think boxing day will see T3i cameras going for $450, I could come up with the extra money, but I am thinking they only go that low if it is a one-per-store-wait-in-line-for-6-hours deal. I can get a T2i for $450, but it doesn't look to me to be as good as the T3i.

Either way, is it safe to assume I'll be happier than with a $200 point and shoot for nature photography, because my uncle recommended a few point and shoots but most don't have a viewfinder and I think I need an optical zoom of over 10x. I see that at least with the Rebels, I can get a used zoom lens like the ones recommended above for about $100, whether privately, ebay or a few camera stores (maybe a bit more expensive but safer bet). Thanks for the help, and as far as the deal on the T3, if I'm going for it, I only have one or 2 hours to decide as I suspect the store is going to sell them fast. Happy holidays to you all.

You can get a refurbished T3i from the Canon online store for $419 USD. Canon Direct Store- EOS Rebel T3i EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit Refurbished

You'll definitely like a DSLR better. Point & shoots very typically have a delay or lag when you snap a photo due to way the contrast-detection autofocus system works. DSLRs use phase-detection autofocus which is _much_ faster and a principal reason why DSLRs are the camera of choice when performance is an issue.

You can get a refurbished T3i from the Canon online store for $419 USD. Canon Direct Store- EOS Rebel T3i EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens Kit Refurbished

You'll definitely like a DSLR better. Point & shoots very typically have a delay or lag when you snap a photo due to way the contrast-detection autofocus system works. DSLRs use phase-detection autofocus which is _much_ faster and a principal reason why DSLRs are the camera of choice when performance is an issue.

Oh, thanks for the link, but I hope they have the same deal in Canada because shipping that would incur some unfortunate duties that would swallow half the savings. I have found the same package second hand on kijiji multiple times and people are asking more than the stores new sale prices...everyone thinks there old stuff is worth what they paid for it.

There's not much about my camera that I am unhappy with other than zoom and really bad compression artifacts in some pictures (no RAW format), but I am sure I would start noticing the lag once I used a camera that didn't have it, and I really can't "learn" anything with my current camera; I am it's monkey that presses the button and nether of us will ever get any better unless I evolve and get a DSLR. I think I will get the T3i, even if I have to get one used or wait till I have a bit more cash.

Okay-----T3i it is. From here on, I'll leave this post open for anyone to add links to deals on one, whether new or used. Thanks everyone so much for your help. My uncle knows a lot about photography, but he admitted he was biased toward his camera so I am glad I came here as he suggested.

Oh, thanks for the link, but I hope they have the same deal in Canada because shipping that would incur some unfortunate duties that would swallow half the savings. I have found the same package second hand on kijiji multiple times and people are asking more than the stores new sale prices...everyone thinks there old stuff is worth what they paid for it.

There's not much about my camera that I am unhappy with other than zoom and really bad compression artifacts in some pictures (no RAW format), but I am sure I would start noticing the lag once I used a camera that didn't have it, and I really can't "learn" anything with my current camera; I am it's monkey that presses the button and nether of us will ever get any better unless I evolve and get a DSLR. I think I will get the T3i, even if I have to get one used or wait till I have a bit more cash.

Okay-----T3i it is. From here on, I'll leave this post open for anyone to add links to deals on one, whether new or used. Thanks everyone so much for your help. My uncle knows a lot about photography, but he admitted he was biased toward his camera so I am glad I came here as he suggested.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I actually bought the T2i instead of the T3i because I was able to get it brand new with the lens kit for only $415 via boxing day doorcrasher and stacked coupons (Through Staples, I know not a great place for cameras but the price was right and they have a decent 30 day no questions return policy). The T2i and T3i seem nearly identical and the only feautre I think I will actual regret not having is digital zoom on HD video. For the amount of video I'm likely to shoot, that's hardly worth more to me than the confidence of Canon's warranty plus my credit card company's additional year on top of that.

I'm curious what people think of my choice and also if I should buy insurance on the camera on top of the free warranties because I don't know how likely or expensive "wear and tear" failures are as opposed whatever Canon's warranty covers. (I can't read the warranty because the camera is being delivered on Friday and I have to decide on extended warranty at pickup. Thanks.

Most reactions

Back