USB Card Read vs USB Cord

jamesino

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
With a Canon Rebel XTi, is there a difference in download speed if I hook the camera directly with my computer's USB port with the provided USB cable compared to removing the CF card and inserting it into a USB CF card reader connected to my computer?

Please note neither equipment is UDMA enabled.

Shouldn't be, unless when hooking the camera up, a program opens vs. putting the card in a slot and just going straight to that drive and looking at the pictures on the card.

I've read that it is less reliable to use your camera rather than a card reader. I don't really see why that would be. Personally, I use a card reader for convenience. You can just put another card in you camera and download the file with the reader at your convenience.

I use card reader for safety reasons. Dont want my camera getting yanked off my desk.

I use card reader for safety reasons. Dont want my camera getting yanked off my desk.
That would be a good reason.....

I have a 9-1 card reader in the PC so I use that. Previous to this PC, I had always used the cord because I didn't have a card reader that plugged into the USB. My first digital camera was in 2002 and I bought this PC with the reader in 2005. So that's 3 years of using the cord.

I've read that it is less reliable to use your camera rather than a card reader.

Cables are the point of failure especially when they are plugged and unplugged a lot. I went through 4 usb cables before I finally bought a card reader. And at that point I had enough of cables altogether and bought an internal card reader.

Another good point there. Most batterys will only take so many charges, probably not good to waste them.

Another good point there. Most batterys will only take so many charges, probably not good to waste them.
Shouldn't be a problem. Take care of the batteries, charge and discharge them correctly and they should last a very long time.

The batteries I have in my camera that lasts for well over 8 hours of the camera being turned on and used all day came from an RC controller that was used to charge a 130 mA lithium polymer battery of an RC airplane hundreds of times. The 4 in my camera plus the 2 others I had are NiMH 2500 mA and they charge the lipo in 20 minutes. I probably got about 10 charges of the lipo from a single charge of the NiMH. I probably have well over 200 flights just on the one airplane itself. I also have a 2nd airplane that I fried modifying it and also a helicopter that I charge the 90 mA lipo with the same NiMH. They are still perfectly fine and lasts all day as I've said.

I would think a Lithium Ion that comes with most dSLR cameras would be even more robust than the AA NiMH batteries.

Most reactions

Back