USB stick/dongle - does speed or type matter

KP70

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Nikon D5600 and am wondering if when transferring photos from my ipad I need to be concerned about the type or speed of the USB I'm using, so as to ensure the quality of my photos. I know the type and speed of my SD card is important for quality and was wondering if something similar is the same with a USB stick/dongle?

The type and speed have nothing to do with image quality, but with performance of the camera. You don't want to wait 17 seconds to take another frame because your buffer can't write to he card fast enough. That said, the buffer will write to the card if it's a slow card, and no data will be omitted, but a card that can't keep up just gets in the way of doing the work.

As for USB sticks, I'm really not aware of any ratings on them other than USB 2 or USB 3., and in USB 3, there is 3.1 and 3.2. Of course, the PC or laptop has to support the USB version of the stick for full transfer rate. Again, a slower interface has nothing to do with image quality, just the time it takes to move data.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back