Used Cameras

klissarov ik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can any of y'all tell me any good sites(that ships to Canada) where I could buy used cameras? Except Ebay...

Also, a little question- which camera would you suggest me out of those?

Nikon D200, Canon 30D & Canon 5D.

My needs would be mainly, landscapes photography & good battery life.

I belive that B&H and/or Adorama have used equipment.

You could try McBain Camera, here in Edmonton.

You could try www.KEH.com

Why not Ebay? I've bought most of my used gear from Ebay, with great success.

Get whatever camera you're more comfortable with and makes more sense to you. The operation of the D200 might make sense to you over a 30 or 5D.

Nikon D200, Canon 30D & Canon 5D.
My needs would be mainly, landscapes photography & good battery life.
Any of those cameras will have a long battery life and aftermarket batteries are cheap anyway.

Those are all good cameras. The D200, I believe, is weather sealed...so would be better protected if you get caught out in the rain. The 30D is a great camera at a great price. The 5D is in a class of it's own because it has a larger (full frame) sensor...same size a 35mm film. This can make a difference for landscape photography because of the lenses that you might want to use. The 17-40mm F4 L, is a great lens for wide landscapes on the 5D (just as on film)....but on the 30D, it's not nearly as wide. To get a wide view on the 30D (or any Nikon)...you would need somthing in the neighborhood of 10 to 12mm.

This is all due to the 'crop factor'. If you aren't familiar with that...any search will turn up many hits.

If those are your choices, the 5D would be my pick, but of course they aren't exactly priced in the same catagory for the reasons mike mentioned.

Do you guys think there could be a chance I find a used 5D for around 1200$ CAD? Also, what do you guys think about the lens kit of these 3 cameras?

And also, do you guys think there will be a big different of quality from a... let's say D70 to a D200 or 30D.

5D is a dream camera for most EOS user. Not as dream as a 1 series, but damn they're nice. They're expensive though. You might be able to find a 30D for cheaper than the D200, which I think is a little differently classsed, but I'd take the 30D cause I already know Canons well and when I get my EF to FD adapter, I'll have quite a ocllection (even if this'll make the lenses suck quite a bit, I don't care, It'd give me 3 more lenses to choose from)

Do you guys think there could be a chance I find a used 5D for around 1200$ CAD? Also, what do you guys think about the lens kit of these 3 cameras?

You'll probably find a good deal on a 5D for about double that, with no lens.

Most of the so called professional kits, have entry level, kit lenses, not professional lenses, some don't even include Canon lenses. They are just piling on cheap lenses, that you'll outgrow in a few months.

Get a camera body and pick your own lens!

And also, do you guys think there will be a big different of quality from a... let's say D70 to a D200 or 30D.

Great question, I just can't wait to see the answers.

Many of the Canon models have the same sensors, same software and just have some features disabled in the eprom. You pay for those extra wheels, buttons and features. :sexywink:

Hmm I see, I guess I'll take the 5D out of my choices- since I can't afford it.

However,
I've read the D200 is slightly better than the 30D... but they can't really compare it to 5D they say. But I was surfing and I saw the D200 body for around 1300-400... But it's all new. I want something used, so I can get it cheaper.

Hmm I see what you mean about the lens kit RacePhoto. What kind of lens would you suggest me for exemple the D200? Something that could be around 200$ would be great..

Wow this camera pursaching is driving me insane!! I've been looking/reading/asking people's thought for nearly a month now and I still don't know what to do!!!! :( I really need to get a camera by the end of the month!

If you need something cheap, good, and soon, than consider film. There's nothing wrong with shooting Velvia. You can get an F80/N80 for under 300, and with the left over $1100, you can get a high quality wide angle zoom like the 17-35mm f/2.8.

Don't go crazy over a great camera body, here are some options:

-Rebel XTi with kit lens and add the 50mm 1.8

-Nikon D50 + kit lens and something else (I'm no Nikon user)

-Sony Alpha A100 and kit lens, just because you can buy into Carl Ziess later on

-Pentax K10D or K100D because you can use any Pentax lens ever made, buy them cheap, and they are of good quality

-or go for a really cheap entry DSLR (Digital Rebel, D50, D70, Rebel XT, *ist, Eos 10D, D40, etc.) and buy a bunch of great lenses.

if you're just stepping into the photography world, dont get one of the 1000+ dollar cameras. Like mentioned above, a canon XT with a 50mm 1.8 will take insanely sharp pictures.

Really, with expensive bodies you are just paying for features, whether its a sealed body, extra dials, processing modes, burst shooting, magnesium body... whatever.

The real differences is in the lens, as crappy lenses on good cameras tend to take crappy pictures, while a nice lens on a budget entry level camera will still take good pictures.

Not to mention, if you spend your money in glass, when you upgrade you already have half of the gear ready to go, and lenses never become outdated.

Exactly. I shoot with a Nikon D70s and one of my lenses is the 17-55 f/2.8 DX. I spent $600 on my camera and $1300 on a lens. I can make better quality prints off of my 6MP D70 using that lens than a 12MP D2x using the 18-55 kit lens.

It's all in the optics.

Ahhh, I see now.. I thought by getting a better camera body- I'd get better results. But I guess I forgot about the lens. Hmm.. well this being said- I think I'll go back to my old pick and go for the D70s. But I heard the lens kit of this model is pretty good... what do you guys think? And also, which lens would you recommend me for landscapes pictures and night shots. Because I don't really know about lenses.. I mean I know a few basic stuffs but that's it.

Thanks for the help!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back