Used Canon DSLR vs NEW Panasonic bridge?

Wow! I'm sorry to hear your panny conked out. Not cool, especially for 400 bones!

haha re:selling it. I know what you are saying on all points, MLeek, and understand where you are coming from. I wouldn't have even considered this except that it's 550 & I know I'll have to study to use either the bridge or the DSLr (to use them on manual), and the price now is the same as most bridges I was looking at, if not less.
Go for the DSLR. At the price they are listing it you can re-sell it during tax time if it's not fitting you-and probably make a profit. You might just discover that it's not nearly as horrible to carry around the camera and both lenses. A small DSLR bag is really not that cumbersome. Then again I am a woman and a small DSLR bag is a LOT smaller than my purse!!

I'd buy the d-slr for the "good camera" aspect, and use the iPhone for everyday, always-with-me kind of shots. I'm not that sold on Panasonic's durability...not too long ago my $400 Panny conked out...

Strange... maybe an isolated case (as with all products)

I'm on my 4th Panasonic imaging related (camcorder included) product and none of them have failed. In fact, Panasonic has consistently ranked tops in reliability in past surveys:

(just a quick google for a few)
dated 2010
Panasonic tops in SquareTrade reliability study

the pdf of the study:
http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/Camera_failure_study.pdf

dated 2009
Fujifilm and Panasonic Cameras are Most Reliable, Readers Say | PCWorld

I've seen a few others too.

What Panny was it?

Step up from a bridge to a Micro four thirds (M4/3) camera for under $500. Check out the comprehensive review @ the link below. With this camera you have the choice of hundreds of lenses made over the last 50 years you can mount for under a $100 each, if you so choose.

Panasonic DMC-G2 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

It is the Panasonic DMC-TZ3, which has the 10x DC Vario Elmar 4.6 to 46 Aspherical. It was the first image stabilized 10x P&S on the market,and it's been babied...doggone sensor is shooting nothing but purple images...very avante garde in a noire sort of way....half-hearted lol...First the zoom control got wonky, requiring a double-push to start-stop it (MAJOR PITA, that!!!), then it shot purple images, then came back, and now it's nothing but purple images (if they can be called 'images') and purple static-lines...

I was at the local pawn shop a couple days ago...they have lots of P&S cams for $29,$39,$59, up to $109.

Hmm... TZ3 is older than mine TZ5 which is still in use. Bummer.... you fortune landed you in the 5.3% plus malfunction statistic.

Mine was purchased when Circuit City stores closed.... it was a splurge buy on a good deal on the final days. Pretty happy with it.. for a P&S.

Note on Canon warranty:

Yes, Canon warranty is not transferable. However, if the camera has not been registered, it is going to be fine as long as the original owner give you the receipt. People were able to get warranty service from Canon. (there are threads in dpreview forum regarding this)

It basically means the Original Purchaser and the Original Owner can be a different person. I can purchase a camera under my name (shown in the invoice) as the original purchaser and give the camera to my cousin as the original owner. Therefore, Canon cannot deny the warranty service as long as the camera is not a imported or grey market camera. And it does not need to be purchased from a authorized Canon dealer.

haha re:selling it. I know what you are saying on all points, MLeek, and understand where you are coming from. I wouldn't have even considered this except that it's 550 & I know I'll have to study to use either the bridge or the DSLr (to use them on manual), and the price now is the same as most bridges I was looking at, if not less.
Go for the DSLR. At the price they are listing it you can re-sell it during tax time if it's not fitting you-and probably make a profit. You might just discover that it's not nearly as horrible to carry around the camera and both lenses. A small DSLR bag is really not that cumbersome. Then again I am a woman and a small DSLR bag is a LOT smaller than my purse!!
. I am a woman, too- but not the one that carried a big purse :) I just carry the essentials (ie Keys & phone- my ccards & DL are in my phone case!)- in my pocket, not even in a purse! However, I can do a smaller cam bag w.one lense, most likely I wouldn't take both unless I was intending to use both for a particular pic. Who knows, the more I learn the more I'll use it & will most likely see the value in carrying around both lenses...TBC... :)

Thanks so much for this insight. I have the original receipt & original (unused) warranty cards. She got a 3 year warranty from best buy, but never registered with canon. The BB warranty has more than 2 years left.

ENJOY! Let us know if you need any links for beginning to learn about using it!

ENJOY! Let us know if you need any links for beginning to learn about using it!

Girl, I need A LOT of links, I'm sure of it :) but first I'm going to read the novel- er, I mean "manual" & then I'm sure I'll be researching & asking...and reading...and happy :D

Thanks for your support, It means a lot to me.

Most reactions

Back