used/cheap DSLR little help

ww2airforce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
the only digital cameras that I have owned have been attached to my phone so stepping from a 1.5mp camera to a DSLR is a huge step I know but im a graphic designer by trade and have worked alot with photos taken straight from the camera. so I know a lot about the background stuff but almost nothing about the front end stuff taking the picture! :(

I have been researching and looking at cameras for about two weeks and have been watching ebay and seeing the Sony A100K alpha going for around $280-350 (my budget is no more then $400, with at least one lens)

but before I got a camera i thought it would be a good idea to ask people who know what they are doing to see there thoughts.

thank you so much for any help you give

First, try out different cameras in your price range. Look for how it feels in your hands and ease of using the features (user friendly or not user friendly) you want to use most often. (go to camera store, then back to ebay for purchase)

Also look at the available lenses to upgrade to. As a general rule, any camera can take great pictures.

For $400 or so, you could likely buy as much as a used Canon or Nikon DSLR on either eBay or Craigslist.

I don't follow Canon stuff at all, but I have seen something like a Nikon D70 / D70S (both about 6MP) with a lens listed for that price. Also saw a used Nikon D40 w/ kit lens sell for $350 on Craigslist not long ago. I bought it and traded up to make a profit on it.

Ever heard of "CraigsPal" ? It is free shareware from Craigslist, a search engine you can use to search any one or all Craigslist sites, either including or excluding keywords you list, and you can pick your price range, search for any item you choose to search for with your own criteria.

There is also a paid version of CraigsPal, think it will monitor and email you when something with your keywords gets listed.

I use it often, kinda cool....

YOu should be able to find a nikon D40 with two lens used for close to that price if not 500 should get ya there. Ebays, craigslist etc

Most reactions

New Topics

Back