Used D2HS opinions

Kudzu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Need some input quickly. I have a D2Hs coming to me to look at. I was a very serious amateur photographer for many years but got out of the hobby. I have been wanting a serious camera and this one came up for sale. I will have use of it all day tomorrow and will spend a lot of time playing with it. I have read the reviews on these cameras and it is obviously a solid built camera which is a big attraction for me. In the past mine received a work out and was drug a lot of places.

So my question is how out of date is this camera? The price is very good and I am assuming it is in good shape, I will know in a few hours when it gets here. Reading up on it sounds like it's biggest limitation is the 4 megapixel size. I am not planning on large prints, mainly wanting the quality. Most work is digital with an occasional print or book cover. Mostly smaller print images.

Last edited:
It's a pretty good camera, but it is *extremely* outdated (which is why it should be very low priced).

It's only 4 megapixels which is quite small by modern standards, doesn't really have any crazy high ISO abilities (and even it's base low ISO of 200 doesn't offer very much range or bit depth), and its AF system is fairly basic even in comparison to current mid-range Nikons. The battery is also pretty expensive so make sure that's included and that it lasts a decent amount of time and doesn't die quickly, some old batteries eventually die off.

Don't get me wrong, it's a solid camera, but for the ~$400-500 it would cost in good condition, you could get much higher quality images out of say, a D200 (10 megapixels), or if you can reach a little bit higher something like the D90 (12.3 megapixels and really good high ISO performance) or the D5100 (doesn't have an AF motor but has probably the best DX sized sensor out right now, 16mp and the best high ISO out of all of these).

What kind of photography are you doing? If you're shooting sports during the day, then the 8 frames per second is pretty good even at 4mp but you'll still be behind as far as AF is concerned (though at that price range, all of the cameras I suggested have similar 11 point arrangements).

EDIT: If the body's ruggedness is that important to you, then avoid my suggestion of the D90 and D5100, the picture quality is better but neither of those has any weather sealing. The D200 is at least decent, the D300 is really good, and has an awesome 51-pt AF system but they run around $800 or so it seems so a bit higher priced.

Further update: Also if image quality is a huge concern, it is the worst rated SLR camera on DXOMark... obviously those results are only worth so much but still..

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. The MP rating is a concern, but very few photos are ever printed and then not very large. There is only so much wall space. Long story but I just made an offer on this and will know in a little while if I got it. It had some very nice lenses with it. This was the fellows nature rig. Telephoto and macro equipment and nothing in between. I told the owner what it was probably all worth and made a low ball offer. If she doesn't take it wouldn't blame her. If I get if for that I will be happy because at the price I will come out even if the camera is dead. She couldn't find the charger for it so I couldn't use it, but everything looks near mint condition. And I have seen a lot of his photos taken with this equipment. It's a bit of a gamble but a small one.

What appeals to me is the ruggedness. I shot mostly outdoors and I kayak a lot. Always take a camera with me If you had to classify me I would be landscape and nature photog I guess. Love cemeteries and love finding that shot in something common and everyday that most people miss. I don't abuse a camera but I don't baby one either. I am not afraid to take mine out in woods or in the misting rain. I don't like the bulk of the camera, but I like the fact it can take some bouncing around and not die. It would take a lot of space in dry box in or on my kayaks.

Most of my photos go into a blog or on the interenet. I have written one book and working on another and do my own photography but other than the cover shot, you are talking small photos. Of course I love big images and being able to crop them a lot.

Yea, I have really been round and round on this and really mixed feelings. Will see what happens.

Most reactions

Back