Used lens - Spots on rear element

whiplash23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just picked up my first used lens via ebay (Nikkor 105mm f2.8 Micro) and there is a problem with the rear element. The seller has a good rep and offered a refund so I am not concerned about losing money.

With that said, upon close inspection of the lens there appear to be a number of round-ish spots in the coating on the rear element. The don't have any color to them and are only visible if the light is at just the right angle. Despite my best efforts with a lens cloth and lens cleaner, they won't come off.

Can anyone tell me what they think this may be? I assume that the coating has been damaged by mold or fungus, which has since been wiped off, but I have no real idea what I am dealing with.

Does it affect image quality? If not than I wouldn't fuss about it...

If I thought I could get a pic of it, I would but the light has to hit it at just the right angle. I haven't even mounted the lens on my camera because if it is mold or fungus, I don't want to expose my other equipment to any more spores than necessary!

I think I'll run the lens past the local camera shop and see what they say. I'll let folks know.

I just picked up my first used lens via ebay (Nikkor 105mm f2.8 Micro) and there is a problem with the rear element. The seller has a good rep and offered a refund so I am not concerned about losing money.

With that said, upon close inspection of the lens there appear to be a number of round-ish spots in the coating on the rear element. The don't have any color to them and are only visible if the light is at just the right angle. Despite my best efforts with a lens cloth and lens cleaner, they won't come off.

Can anyone tell me what they think this may be? I assume that the coating has been damaged by mold or fungus, which has since been wiped off, but I have no real idea what I am dealing with.
Mold and fungus usually happen inside the lens.

I doubt what you see will have any negative effect on the image quality the lens can produce, particularly since you say you have to hold the lens at just the right angle to the light to even see what ever it is you are seeing.

I'd return it, even if it doesn't affect image quality it definitely affects the value of the lens. At the very least the seller should give you a partial refund.

Most reactions

Back