***What are these spots on my photos?***

I wiped the sensor clean with a Q-tip

Would never advise using a Q-tip on a sensor. The fibers are not compressed and would likely leave strands. Plus excess solvent tends to leave streaks that will affect colors, not to mention the possibility of other contaminates that might scratch.

@mjcmt Here's a good article on how to tell the differences How to Spot Dust on Your DSLR Sensor

First off the sensor is slightly charged and will attract and hold dust, do not use any type of cloth on your sensor as you'll likely introduce more dust. Follow the procedure above in the link to first determine the source of the spots, then follow these steps to remove sensor spots.

1. Starting from the least aggressive method. Remove the lens, hold the body pointed down and use a Rocket Blower to dislodge dust. Then use the onboard sensor cleaner. Now repeat the test in the link.

2. If you still have spots, use a sensor swab and cleaning fluid ( VisibleDust EZ Sensor Cleaning Kit Mini with 1.0x Green Vswabs and Sensor Clean ) put one or two drops of cleaning fluid on the swap. You can use a commercial product or 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, in either case DO NOT OVERSATURATE, IT WILL CAUSE STREAKS. Starting on one side of the sensor put enough pressure to slightly bend the swab. Pull it across in one fluid motion. Flip the swab over and repeat going the same direction. Throw the swab away...Do not use it again. Repeat the test in the link above. If you still have dust, repeat the cleaning with a new swab, and repeat test in link above.

3. If after cleaning twice you still have spots, then it's likely you have grease or oil contaminates. I would highly suggest you invest in a sensor scope to inspect the sensor. Delkin Devices Sensor Scope with Bag with the scope you can tell the difference between dust and oil/grease. If it's dust then repeat step 2. If it's oil or grease then go to step 4.

4. If you have oil or grease on the sensor replace your cleaning solution with ROR ROR Residual Oil Remover (2.0 oz) and repeat step 2.

It's not hard to do, and doesn't take that long. Just take your time and follow the steps above. It's important to remember to always go from the least aggressive to the most, if after following the above steps you still have spots, it's time to see a professional.
Good info Smoke. Thanks.
I do blow and use on board sensor cleaner regularly.
I have ROR from my film days.

Good info Smoke. Thanks. I do blow and use on board sensor cleaner regularly

If you use a camera you'll eventually get dust on the sensor or oil and grease from moving parts. It's a good practice to always hold the body pointed down anytime the lens is removed. That way any dust dislodged will hopefully fall out. Also being aware of the surroundings (dust, wind, etc) when changing glass will help keep problems out of the camera

Last edited:
I picked up up a Canon XS for nothing that had those spots. I removed the lens and set the exposure for 30 seconds. After clicking the shutter I wiped the sensor clean with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol. If you keep the Q-tip in to long the shutter will be wrecked when it closes. The results for me were great. It is dangerous and you can destroy the camera, but it works.
Can you not use Bulb or Time instead?

Yes, you can use bulb. Cotton swabs can leave behind strands so be careful to leave none.

Yes, you can use bulb. Cotton swabs can leave behind strands so be careful to leave none.
Then I fail to understand the rationale behind risking damage to the shutter by limiting cleaning time to only 30 seconds. No question but that cotton swabs (and microfiber cloth) should never touch a sensor.

These spots are showing up more and more. I cleaned the Nikon D750 DSLR sensor many times as well as the rear lens element and it's getting worse in the last few weeks, from only a few to so many it's astounding. Is this lubricating oil from the shutter? Or damage to the sensor? Or something else?

I did a rough B/W edit w/ high contrast and high structure to highlight them and show them off.
View attachment 261255

Sensor debris/spots. Clean it only with a full frame sensor swap and eclipse sensor fluid. Nothing else. And that is after blowing it off with the large Giotto rocket blower. These three items are quite cheap on Amazon, and work perfectly. Do not use a micro fiber cloth or Q-tips. Ever.

I picked up up a Canon XS for nothing that had those spots. I removed the lens and set the exposure for 30 seconds. After clicking the shutter I wiped the sensor clean with a Q-tip dipped in alcohol. If you keep the Q-tip in to long the shutter will be wrecked when it closes. The results for me were great. It is dangerous and you can destroy the camera, but it works.

You can lock the shutter open for as long as you'd like in sensor cleaning mode.

have blower lens cleaner and ROR

Just remember to follow the steps I gave you from the least aggressive to the most. There's no need to uses ROR if a less volatile cleaner works. Streaking can end up requiring more work.

Just remember to follow the steps I gave you from the least aggressive to the most. There's no need to uses ROR if a less volatile cleaner works. Streaking can end up requiring more work.
I can't get all the spots off so I'm inclined to use ROR

I can't get all the spots off so I'm inclined to use ROR

Dust can be difficult at times requiring multiple cleaning with swabs. ROR isn't specifically listed for sensors, but will work in a pinch. However its wise to use a scope to verify it is oil/grease not just stubborn dust.

Most reactions

Back