Used/New Camera Recommendations for Student

wobe

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi TPF,

My son (16) is looking to purchase his first camera for college - creative media course, as I'm a not very clued up on the digital market today I'm hoping I can tap the experts for some recommendations..

Budget around $3-400, used or new OK. College have 'suggested' DSLR and stated that the camera will be used for video as well as stills.

I have an F5 and so already have a few AF-F lenses (which I would be happy to put on loan to him) so have been suggesting this brand, as well as for the huge back catalog of F lenses, many used ones quite reasonably priced but don't want to push too hard in case there are better options I'm unaware of.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Hi TPF,

My son (16) is looking to purchase his first camera for college - creative media course, as I'm a not very clued up on the digital market today I'm hoping I can tap the experts for some recommendations..

Budget around $3-400, used or new OK. College have 'suggested' DSLR and stated that the camera will be used for video as well as stills.

I have an F5 and so already have a few AF-F lenses (which I would be happy to put on loan to him) so have been suggesting this brand, as well as for the huge back catalog of F lenses, many used ones quite reasonably priced but don't want to push too hard in case there are better options I'm unaware of.

He can't do much better than a second hand D600 that has had the shutter replaced, or a D610. As you say, many lenses available at decent prices. Have you read this? Is a Nikon D600 / 610 still ok for use today?

Hi TPF,

Buy used. My favorite used online store is KEH.com. They have a fair grading system, warranty, and returns. The D600 or D610 are good full frame camera choices. You might want to consider the DX sensor size as DX glass is less expensive than FX glass. Most photographers end up paying more for glass than for the camera in the long run. A good choice there would be a D7100. I see one on KEH for $337. I'm not sure if your F5 glass will be fully compatible with dslrs. You can do a search online for lens compatibility and check your specific lenses. If I only had one lens, it would be a 50mm f/1.8. You can get and AF-S G on KEH for about $150. It will be compatible with both the D600 or D7100.

Last edited:
Many thanks I think they are compatible - all Nikkor -
1x AF 50mm 1:8D,
AF 28-105mm 3.5-4.5D &
AF-S 17-35mm 2.8D

You might also consider the Nikon D5XXX and lower APS-C amateur cameras. S lenses only with these models that lack the drive pin for D lenses. The inexpensive G series AF-S primes are sharp and worth a look, too.

Frankly, I'd pass on the troubled D600--shutter transplants notwithstanding.

The FX lenses will work on DX bodies. Even some older AI-S lenses will wotk, though there may be some limitations. My AI-S 105mm Micro would work on the D40, but I had to use an external meter.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input - looks like Nikon makes sense, may look at the D610’s if that fixes the shutter issue and will work with all my current lenses. 👍

Thanks guys, appreciate the input - looks like Nikon makes sense, may look at the D610’s if that fixes the shutter issue and will work with all my current lenses. 👍
Let us know what you decide, and how it works out.

If you get a D600 and it has had the shutter replaced, that is a great deal. First, it will be like almost buying a brand new camera--but only paying a couple hundred for it. Second, some D600s had problems with oil from the shutter. Nikon has ended the free shutter replacement program. But if the one you're looking at has had the shutter replaced, it will tell you. And if it hasn't, the camera is a decade old so it either had the oil splatter problem for 8 years now or it's fine.

Second, if you buy a D600 (full frame) don't buy DX class. That's for a crop body. That will create vignetting on a full frame camera. Only buy DX lens if you're getting a crop body camera.

Third, if this camera is for a "Creative Photography" class, then the lens matters a great deal. A kit lens with an f3.5-5.5 aperture won't cut it. You'll want to get glass that is capable of a narrow DoF (at least f2.8 and ideally even narrower like f1.8). The Nikon 50mm f1.8 lens is a good option--very sharp, reliable, light-weight, small.

Most reactions

Back