Used tripods really a good thing to get?

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I keep reading about this and i wonder if i should do it so i can get me a better tripod for less money. Any stories?

I have never bought a used one, but as long as it was in good shape I don't see why I wouldn't.

A good tripod will last pretty much forever if it's been cared for properly (not saying you need to baby it), so it would be a good opportunity to get a better tripod for the money.

Just make sure it actually is a better tripod for the money...

Is a used car a good thing to get?

That is a horrible comparison.
TJ

Can't be worse than your opinion on this matter.

But, to justify my comparison:
If a car is well maintained, not abused, highway driven and from a sunny state, in most cases it is safe to assume it won't have any major issues until the ~100k mark and will be a joy to have for a while. If the car is driven by a teen, redlined more than often, oil never changed, tires never rotated, holes in the ground ignored... Its probably safe to assume your engine will take a dump, or your suspension components will wear prematurely, and your tires will be done way before this is all supposed to happen and you will not get to enjoy it so much.
If you buy a used tripod and it wasn't used as target practice, didnt go for swims in the lake, and wasnt a weapon of choice for beating someone, then it will probably serve you well.
And the tripod, just like a car can be repaired.

Is a used car a good thing to get?

That is a horrible comparison.
TJ

Can't be worse than your opinion on this matter.

But, to justify my comparison:
If a car is well maintained, not abused, highway driven and from a sunny state, in most cases it is safe to assume it won't have any major issues until the ~100k mark and will be a joy to have for a while. If the car is driven by a teen, redlined more than often, oil never changed, tires never rotated, holes in the ground ignored... Its probably safe to assume your engine will take a dump, or your suspension components will wear prematurely, and your tires will be done way before this is all supposed to happen and you will not get to enjoy it so much.
If you buy a used tripod and it wasn't used as target practice, didnt go for swims in the lake, and wasnt a weapon of choice for beating someone, then it will probably serve you well.
And the tripod, just like a car can be repaired.

You don't know my opinion on this matter. I think a used tripod is a great option to purchase what you want at a price you can afford. Don't you think it would have been smarter to say that if the tripod is well maintained and hasn't been through a war then it will most likely be a great purchase. There is such a wide variety of used cars from a car that doesn't run to a lambo with 10k miles on it.
TJ

I have bought both new and used tripods. I don't know if I would buy a used tripod that I couldn't see and look over 1st.
A good heavy duty tripod that has been well taken care of and maintained could last a carreer.

there's a hell of a lot more to wear and tear within on and underneath a car than a tripod.

Consider used... I have 3 used ones all Manfrotto/Bogen. All purchased for south of $100. The largest being a 3001 full height for $35 from a camera swap.. and that's with a 3 way pan head. It looks ugly (scratched up) but its very stable. The only 1 tripod purchased new was because it is difficult to find used.

Stick to a good brand that is known for build quality (kinda like buying a toyota) and check for abnormal wear and tear.

Oh by the way.. I've always had just as good service from a well maintained used car as a new one. What you get in from the convenience of a warranty you pay for in the huge depreciation associated with cars. Jeep YJ, Miata, Dodge SRT4, Audi TT, Dodge Journey, Sentra SER. The only one that cost a bit more than expected was the Audi TT.. it was no big deal... Purchased it for such a good deal that even with the cost of maintenance it was a fraction brand new.

Last edited:
My God it's a tripod. It either works for you, or it doesn't. Take a look at it, and if it works then buy it, and move on.

My God it's a tripod. It either works for you, or it doesn't. Take a look at it, and if it works then buy it, and move on.
Amen!

I don't know how many tripods I have...I think it's around 10 or more. Only two of them were brand new when I got them, and they are the flimsiest ones I own. I've got a few nice Manfrotto tripods, all of them used. Some of them have seen some hard use, but they still work.

I agree, of all the photography gear, the tripod is the safest thing to buy used. A person has to damn near try to break it to hurt one. And most of the major players have parts available to repair locks and such. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

since some of you have more than one, who would be nice enough to sell me one?^^

Most reactions

New Topics

Back