Useless Knowledge

Unimaxium said:
A duck's quack supposedly doesn't echo, and nobody knows why.
Wait a minute I just saw this on TV yesterday and they said it did echo. Rember kids you can belive everything your see on TV but don't trust the internet. Or is that the other way around. :lol:

ALL COFFEE DRINKERS READ HERE:

There are more than 1,000 chemicals in a cup of coffee. Of these, only 26 have been tested, and half caused cancer in rats.

edit - I need to stop posting these but oh well:
  • Most cell phone antennas have no purpose other than to make people believe that flipping up a 2 inch antenna just gave them better reception. They are not connected to any circuitry.
  • Only 55% of Americans know that the sun is a star.
  • The best recorded distance for projectile vomiting is 27 feet.
Not sure "best" is the right word for that.

Becky said:
What?! How many have you got? :lmao:
Let's get a room and you can find out for yourself :lmao:

Margaret Mitchell, the writer of Gone With The Wind, wanted the part of Rhett Butler to be played in the film by Groucho Marx.
'Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn' takes on a whole new dimension if you imagine Groucho delivering it.

A couple of hundred years ago, ladies were taught how to use a fan, among other things, in their daily lessons. They weren't used for cooling oneself as you might suspect. They were used for ladies to have something to do with their hands if they felt a need to fidget. They were also used for flirting and to smack a gentleman's hand if he became too bold.

Sorry I'm late on this one...I, like most of you, have tons of useless knowledge, but it only presents itself in context, and I can't command it to come to the front of my brain.

As far as the captain who parachuted. I got a call from a Congressional Staffer about 3 months ago. She had a constituent who wanted to break Kittinger's record. The constituent wanted to know if there was any way that NASA could help him out (I think he was looking for a lift up actually).

As far as my specific useless knowledge, it revolves around 19th century vaudevillians who made a living on the stage lifiting incredibly heavy objects and flexing their muscles...

Daniel said:
[*]Most cell phone antennas have no purpose other than to make people believe that flipping up a 2 inch antenna just gave them better reception. They are not connected to any circuitry.
[*]Only 55% of Americans know that the sun is a star.
The non-pullable antennas do have an effect. I took mine off, and reception dropped 3 bars.

I can't believe the second one...I just can't, and won't.

clarinetJWD said:
The non-pullable antennas do have an effect. I took mine off, and reception dropped 3 bars.

I can't believe the second one...I just can't, and won't.

what? That people don't know that the sun is a star? I saw that question on some game show the other other (jeopardy maybe) "what is the closest star to the earth?" No one got it...I'm sorry to tell you, Joe, but we love among some of the planet's dumbest people!

jocose said:
what? That people don't know that the sun is a star? I saw that question on some game show the other other (jeopardy maybe) "what is the closest star to the earth?" No one got it...I'm sorry to tell you, Joe, but we love among some of the planet's dumbest people!

:lol:

A useless fact - and one of the most ironic - is about William Huskisson. He was an MP and supported the Act allowing the building of the first passenger railway line in the 1830's.
In gratitude the Directors invited him to attend the opening - at which event he was knocked down and killed by Stephenson's Rocket.
He thus became the first victim of a passenger train accident.

Most reactions

Back