User Group for Rude Members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mandatory ID checks and $5 cover charge before you enter the TPF.

For extra credit, you can keep an eye out. When one of the more bullying types posts something for critique, go and give them an honest one. Note that they rarely DO post for critique, and when they do they hedge around with explanations and excuses "This is just a quick edit, for fun, ha ha" or whatever.

Then stand back and watch the fun. They DO NOT take negative critique well. You don't even have to be mean or dishonest, just give them straightforward honest critique. Most of them aren't all that, so there's gonna be some negatives in there. Most pictures can be improved. Point out how.

For extra credit, you can keep an eye out. When one of the more bullying types posts something for critique, go and give them an honest one. Note that they rarely DO post for critique, and when they do they hedge around with explanations and excuses "This is just a quick edit, for fun, ha ha" or whatever.

Then stand back and watch the fun. They DO NOT take negative critique well. You don't even have to be mean or dishonest, just give them straightforward honest critique. Most of them aren't all that, so there's gonna be some negatives in there. Most pictures can be improved. Point out how.

They can just call it "art". Problem solved.

Just checked this thread back from last night. 10 pages. I struck a nerve.

It certainly proves that a user-group should be formed for a certain type of member.

The forum Admin can create a new user-group that does not include the beginner forums. Move members into it as they see fit.

This forum allows 13-year olds to join. The cowards that launch attacks on these new members should be banned, but for some reason they are not. Moving them to a group that minimizes the amount of bullying that occurs on this forum would be a step short on banning the members, and would help foster new members. There is too much Internet bullying that is tolerated.

So you saw 10 pages but evidently didn't read them. Including the response by Terri.

Maybe we should form a group for people who cause threads from hell but don't read the responses.

No- I did not bother to read TEN pages, glanced at a few meaningless replies, that was enough to just click "LAST" for the thread.

I can read, just do not bother wading through most of the crap posted in response.

Brian, it's certainly true that there are a handful of sociopaths who have learned how to bully within the generous limits of TPF moderation policy. You can't do much about that except wait for them to get banned, which will eventually happen.

The best thing you can do is to contribute. Model grown up behavior, be both an example and a source of signal above the noise. Gradually, the tenor of the forum shifts.

Many more good members have just stayed away from this forum because of a few members not being banned. If they are not going to be banned, they should be prevented from bullying new members. Internet Bullying does exist. What I saw this weekend was truly disgusting, carried on by a couple of cowardly little *******s.

Well, the moderation policy is what it is.

In the first place, they want to balance open discussion against bullying behavior.
In the second place there are a finite number of moderator hours to be spent.
In the third place, the bullies tend also to contribute in useful ways.
In the fourth place, the bullies are also members of cliques, and banning them creates backlash, including potentially creating more bullies.

It's a complicated situation. It's not optimal, that's for sure. However, second-guessing the moderation policy is well above my pay grade, and I suspect it's well above yours as well. Ultimately, it ain't my forum, I just hang out here sometimes.

Model good behavior, it's pretty much all you can do. Or, walk away and send a polite but detailed email describing why to... um, I dunno, there's probably some contact email address on here someplace.

Just checked this thread back from last night. 10 pages. I struck a nerve.

It certainly proves that a user-group should be formed for a certain type of member.

The forum Admin can create a new user-group that does not include the beginner forums. Move members into it as they see fit.

This forum allows 13-year olds to join. The cowards that launch attacks on these new members should be banned, but for some reason they are not. Moving them to a group that minimizes the amount of bullying that occurs on this forum would be a step short on banning the members, and would help foster new members. There is too much Internet bullying that is tolerated.

So you saw 10 pages but evidently didn't read them. Including the response by Terri.

Maybe we should form a group for people who cause threads from hell but don't read the responses.

No- I did not bother to read TEN pages, glanced at a few meaningless replies, that was enough to just click "LAST" for the thread.

I can read, just do not bother wading through most of the crap posted in response.

Then I've *really* gotta wonder--WHY did you create this thread, instead of just PM'ing the Mods?
I've certainly done MY share of reading the first page of responses to a thread and realizing that my time would be better spent watching paint dry, but...NOT on threads that *I* started!

So now I'm wondering--and I am asking this sincerely:
Did you actually EXPECT this thread to go differently?

Brian is creating negative feedback.

I'm a fan of quite regularly pointing out in public bullying behavior. It's how societies self-police, and an internet forum is (roughly) a little society.

By not naming names, he's actually allowing people who recognize themselves as bullies (you guys know who you are, dontcha?) to police themselves. Of course they feel defensive and grumpy, and they post little posts about how funny they find it all, but they're shamed at least a little.

I find this rather rude. Are you going to be nominating yourself to be put into the group you propose?

Seriously... This has to be the punch line to this entire thread.

I find this rather rude. Are you going to be nominating yourself to be put into the group you propose?

Seriously... This has to be the punch line to this entire thread.

April fools?

Brian, it's certainly true that there are a handful of sociopaths who have learned how to bully within the generous limits of TPF moderation policy. You can't do much about that except wait for them to get banned, which will eventually happen.

The best thing you can do is to contribute. Model grown up behavior, be both an example and a source of signal above the noise. Gradually, the tenor of the forum shifts.

Many more good members have just stayed away from this forum because of a few members not being banned. If they are not going to be banned, they should be prevented from bullying new members. Internet Bullying does exist. What I saw this weekend was truly disgusting, carried on by a couple of cowardly little *******s.

Ut oh Brian, you are calling people names. Now you are bullying. You need to sign up for your own group.

Internet Bullying does exist. What I saw this weekend was truly disgusting, carried on by a couple of cowardly little *******s.

I mean, I'm not exactly how serious I can take this comment.

If someone seriously get their feelings hurt to the point that it has an actual effect on your self esteem, then I'd say that person has some bigger issues than a simple exchange of some foul words from some stranger thousands of miles away on the internet.

Just sayin'

I'm a fan of quite regularly pointing out in public bullying behavior. It's how societies self-police, and an internet forum is (roughly) a little society.

By not naming names, he's actually allowing people who recognize themselves as bullies (you guys know who you are, dontcha?) to police themselves. Of course they feel defensive and grumpy, and they post little posts about how funny they find it all, but they're shamed at least a little.

I hope.

I'm officially sick of this thread; it's just getting revved up again to go nowhere. Closed.

OP: I have no problem that you started the thread, and with the best intentions of calling attention to an ongoing problem. However, your own tone ultimately made the thread pointless, which is unfortunate. Please do take the time to read the whole thing...you might come away more enlightened. Thank you. :)

Thanks to those of you who do know how to contribute to these kinds of discussions in an objective way.

Aaron...try to stay out of trouble today. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back