What's new

Using a BlackRapid strap and a grip...

TheBiles

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 13, 2010
Messages
869
Reaction score
69
Location
MCB Quantico
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does the strap get in the way when holding in portrait orientation? It seems like the tripod mount could get in the way.


--
Sent from my Droid Bionic.
 
No worse than a quick release plate does. It's annoying, for sure. But it's useable.

Im looking at putting a carabiner on on of the oem camera strap mounts, and attaching my rs-7 to that. I'm not sure how it'll work yet though.
 
I am using the RS-4 with battery grip attached to my camera at almost all times when walking around! Never had problems with it! The attachment on the strap lays down flat along the battery grip, so you just feel that there is something there
 
I always had a quick release plate on the bottom of the grip, and clipped my Black Rapid strap to the QR plate's D-ring.

It didn't take long to get used to the QR plate being there when I shot with the camera held in the portrait orientation. The plate is pretty thin so no annoyance at all, just life as usual in the big city.
 
I have the RS-7, this is a great strap. I do not find it difficult or annoying, nor does it impede portrait shooting. Some downsides are: I do not like having to take the strap off to mount my camera to a tripod, and the strap is bulky in my camera bag. I have, but do not use the little sports strap under my arm. With it on, I feel like I have to adjust my shirt and sleeve more often. As I slide my camera up to take a shot, it is smooth. Sometimes the strap slips off my shoulder as I shoot and I have to adjust.

This strap is not perfect, but is WAY more comfortable than a typical neck strap.

I have the carabiner, it is solid as a rock.

KmH, what quick release plate are you using? I have a Silk tripod with the round puck like plate. I do have to take the strap off of the camera, then mount my tripod plate to the camera. I hate having to do this when I want to use the tripod.
 
Thanks for all of the great responses, guys!
 
I use a Manfrotto plate:

Manfrotto804RC2TripodHead.jpg
 
I was actually planning on picking up a Manfrotto in the near future. Glad to hear the plate isn't too much of a bother with the grip!

Which head is that, by the way?
 
I always had a quick release plate on the bottom of the grip, and clipped my Black Rapid strap to the QR plate's D-ring.

It didn't take long to get used to the QR plate being there when I shot with the camera held in the portrait orientation. The plate is pretty thin so no annoyance at all, just life as usual in the big city.

I use the same arrangement with my RS-4. Not a problem at all.
 
These straps are great. I toss my camera bodies from landscape to portrait orientation effortlessly while using these straps.

By tripod mount, I suspect you are referring to the fastener that screws into 1/4" on the bottom of the camera. My hand cups right over it, never finding it a nuisance.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom