Using a teleconverter with a 70-300 lens?

5155536230_30f3fa7c81_z.jpg

Taken with a D300 70-200mm 2.8 with a 1.7TCII. I was shocked at the detail of this photo considering it was my first day with the TC and shooting from a moving tram as we passed this big boy.

Taken with a D300 70-200mm 2.8 with a 1.7TCII. I was shocked at the detail of this photo considering it was my first day with the TC and shooting from a moving tram as we passed this big boy.
That's because of the 2.8. Couldn't do that with my 70-300 though.

Nice shot!

Great shot!

I've always been impressed with nikons 1.7TC and considering the good reports I've read of the image quality that it is capable of producing I've always been surprised that canon has never added a 1.7 to their TC line up.

I'm of the "Give it a try camp". There are lots of things not recommended and folks who flat out tell "Don't do it" TC's fall into this catagory, if you don't try it you'll never know.

1.4X TC's ..Okay, 2X TC's... not so good, stacking TC's ... Don't do it!

Bah. here is a shot with stacked 1.4X and 2X TC's on a 400mm lens which makes it 1120mm and handheld.

EagleStackedTCs.jpg

Rules were meant to be broken

I'm of the "Give it a try camp". There are lots of things not recommended and folks who flat out tell "Don't do it" TC's fall into this catagory, if you don't try it you'll never know.

1.4X TC's ..Okay, 2X TC's... not so good, stacking TC's ... Don't do it!

Bah. here is a shot with stacked 1.4X and 2X TC's on a 400mm lens which makes it 1120mm and handheld.

Rules were meant to be broken

That looks pretty good to me. It does help to have a "fast" lens to start with too.

Well just have a few with the Tamron 1.4x and Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-D.

First farthest test would be 280mm

Blue View by orb9220, on Flickr

To wanted to see how it did with minimum focus distance.

Metal Brushed Sculpture Series 1 of 4 by orb9220, on Flickr

And a couple of static shots at 30-40ft.

Yellow Hang #1 by orb9220, on Flickr

Yellow Hang #2 by orb9220, on Flickr

And handheld moon shot.

Harvest Moon Oct. 2009 Cropped by orb9220, on Flickr

Now have only the 55-200vr as had to sell all my great glass for medical expenses.
And slowly getting back to my kit I had at beginning of the year.

Just picked up the D90 used a month ago upgrade from a used D200 which I had to sell to fund it.
And don't see myself getting an f2.8 zoom again anytime soon. As finances are really bad for me for next year or so.

And still need to get back my ultra-wide and maybe a 35mm f1.8. Then maybe a used something 70-300vr? or 300mm f4 old manual lens? Who knows as the 55-200vr isn't too shabby and is a good stop gap as I save for replacements in other ranges.

Well just have a few with the Tamron 1.4x and Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-D.

First farthest test would be 280mm

Now have only the 55-200vr as had to sell all my great glass for medical expenses.
And slowly getting back to my kit I had at beginning of the year.

Just picked up the D90 used a month ago upgrade from a used D200 which I had to sell to fund it.
And don't see myself getting an f2.8 zoom again anytime soon. As finances are really bad for me for next year or so.

And still need to get back my ultra-wide and maybe a 35mm f1.8. Then maybe a used something 70-300vr? or 300mm f4 old manual lens? Who knows as the 55-200vr isn't too shabby and is a good stop gap as I save for replacements in other ranges.
Those came out good!

So those shots above were from when you had the 2.8 lens? Did you test with your current lens?

I notice that the tele-converters work best with the more expensive, faster lenses and curious how they work with a slower lens like my AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED

I tried the tamron 1.4x on the 70-300vr and wasn't amused at all.

1) A lot of hunting even in good light so AF is out and manual focus only way to go.
2) Image IQ takes quite a hit and hard to focus in lower light to get sharp.

I just don't see the advantage of trying to use them on slower variable f-stop zooms at all. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on fixed f4 or faster lenses. As those lenses whether prime or zoom have the optimal designed optics to minimize the hits in Image IQ.

Yes I could have practiced more and maybe upped usability with it a bit. But for wildlife in canopy of trees or in woods. Overcast,cloudy days you can pretty much count on way too many situations where that kind of setup would fail for me and my needs.

For me and my zoom needs then a f2.8 zoom with a 1.7x would be great. Like the first choice would be the 70-200vr f2.8 and the 1.7x. As that would give me the maximum usability in different subject matter. From portrait and indoors as an f2.8 70-200 or a 340mm f4.5? when reach is needed.

Barring the price if a concern then would go for a used VR1 version for $1300-$1400 used. And then the two-ring version of the 80-200 f2.8 AF-D.

But am not a main wildlife nature shooter tho. So if wildlife is a main concern then would look into some of even the longer zooms from Sigma and Nikon like the 150-500 range. I would love to have one. But with monies so limited. I generally have to chose more for versatility and usability in more situations then more specific function.

Last edited:
Looks like getting a tele-converter is out for me then.

What about the NIKON REFLEX NIKKOR C 500mm f/8 lens?
Anyone use one them?
It's going to be awhile before I can afford a long f2.8 lens.

Many don't like them. Unpleasant Doughnut Bokeh circles.
Usually f8 which is slow except in bright light.

And many like myself consider them not worth wasting the cash on.

I would save your money until you can afford something decent.
But the 70-300vr is already an outstanding lens in it's class.

And unfortunately the next step up even in used is in the $800+ and above category.
So I would probably go the Save up $500 or so then sell the 70-300vr on craigslist for $400 then can go for something more. In case of general f2.8 lens + TC or if justified for nature and wildlife look into the Sigma's 100-400 f4,150-500 kind of lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back