Using Film lights

thepixies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

i'm really starting to get into both film work, and still photography. i cant choose between the two. one month i love one, next month the other.

working as a pro, would i need to choose between the two? or could i do film and still photo freelance stuff?

my other question is. on a low budget i've just saved enough for a cheap lighting kit. but i cant choose between buying lights for film work..or lights for still photos.

could i use film lighting, continuos lighting. for photography ok?...what are the disadvantages of shooting still photos with continuoes lighting

thankyou. there are so many helpful people here.

I've worked with both hot lights (continuous) and cold lights (strobes, flashes), but only enough to get a feel for them. Most everything I do is with natural light. That said, there are advantages and disadvantages to each. If you have an interest in motion film, I don't see any issue with investing in a decent hot light setup to use for both. They will be truely hot, but they will also be cheaper. I know of at least one very good photographer that prefers them over strobes for his portraits.

I love strobe light but I cut my teeth on bulbs...

You might have a color problem with the bulbs for movies but i wouldn't think so. They are probably the same temperature, I don't know.

With bulb lights you will probably be shooting slower shutter speeds, but unless it is animals or children that shouldn't cause a problem.

As far as doing both I gave that a try once in my studio days. I videoed and shot stills at the same time. It is maddening to try to do to much. However if you did both but not at the same time, you could probably do well.

Just remember that continuous lights use a whole lot more energy and will heat up your room pretty quickly. So if you are photographing people, the heat can get pretty uncomfortable. There are new fluorescent lights, but I believe they a quite a bit more expensive.

just my 2 cents

Most reactions

Back