Using film

JessicaLRobinson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How do you price everything if you are using film? Sitting fees and whatnot.

I don't think I would price it any differently than using digital. It's my time and talent/service that I'm selling...and if the final result is a photo...I don't think it matters what medium you are working with.

With film, there are film & developing costs as an immediate expense. With digital, the equipment might cost more to start with but there are less or no immediate costs. With digital there is certainly some personal time spend on the computer...but that might also be true of film, if you get them scanned.

I suggest looking around your area to see what photographers are charging and use that as a guide to set your prices.

I suggest looking around your area to see what photographers are charging and use that as a guide to set your prices.

sound advice. i'll add a bit to that; don't be the lowest priced person in town....you'll never be able to successfully raise them at a later date.

Just make sure you pay your expenses (and realize they are usually more than you think they are and add whatever profit you think is appropriate for the job.

Well most around here are digital and charge a $50 sitting fee. Does a $30 sitting fee with a processing charge of $25 seem decent?

If I were a customer, I'd rather pay a $55 sitting fee than a cheaper sitting fee and a processing fee. I would feel like i'm getting charged for something extra and that no one else is going to charge me for.

Thanks tr0gd0o0r!

What about since I have to send the photos away anyways....I charge a $60 sitting fee but with that, they automatically get 4x6's of all the images taken. Maybe they'd be more inclined that way.

It's all about perceived value. I usually include 4x6 prints along with digital files and sometimes prints. Sure, they don't really need the prints if I'm selling them the files...but it only cost me a few dollars and it makes the clients feel like they are getting a lot more.

You need to figure out your whole pricing plan. Maybe your sitting fee is $50, and then you have a price for prints & enlargements. Maybe your sitting fee is $100 but it includes so many 4x6s, 5x7s and or 8x10s. Maybe sitting fee is $10 and your prints are $50 each.

You should also consider how you plan to show and sell your prints/work. If you give them 4x6 prints, some people will just scan them and make their own prints. It's illegal, if you don't give them permission...but they don't know and don't really care. Maybe you just show them the 4x6 proof prints and let them choose what they want to order. There are any number of ways of going about it. Some people these days do want digital files for themselves...so that they can print and send their photos...but then you obvious wont get many print sales out of them...so charge a lot for the files (if you get them scanned or switch to digital).

Most reactions

Back