How to convert negative image to positive

satimis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have image files scanned on film negatives with mobile phone. Please advise how to convert them to positive images.

Sample files attached.

Thanks

Regard

Attachments

• ph-02.jpeg
    ph-02.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 9
  • ph-04.jpeg
    ph-04.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 3
  • ph-03.jpeg
    ph-03.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2
The specific steps will depend on the app you use. But in a nutshell:
1. invert the colors
2. create a mask to delete the orange base color of the film.

GIMP has invert function as well. (Shocking to PS-bois out there, I know)

Colors > Invert. The step can be assigned a keyboard shortcut.

GIMP has invert function as well. (Shocking to PS-bois out there, I know)

Colors > Invert. The step can be assigned a keyboard shortcut.
GIMP Colors -> Invert

The result is very poor. Please see screeshots attached.

Regards

Attachments

• screenshot_photo_4.png
    screenshot_photo_4.png
    225.1 KB · Views: 4
  • screenshot_photo_3.png
    screenshot_photo_3.png
    245.8 KB · Views: 3
  • screenshot_photo_2.png
    screenshot_photo_2.png
    315 KB · Views: 5
Read post 3.

Read post 3.
Could you please advise how to "create a mask to delete the orange base color of the film" ?

Would following link be suitable for me to follow ?
Automating inverting negative scans with orange mask using GEGL

Thanks

What film was this? I'm trying to figure out how they went from magenta to green... or why they were magenta to begin with.

Maybe you'll need to get them scanned by a photo lab. Or next time, get scans when you get film developed.

What film was this? I'm trying to figure out how they went from magenta to green... or why they were magenta to begin with.

Maybe you'll need to get them scanned by a photo lab. Or next time, get scans when you get film developed.
Old Kodar film, >30 years.

Some of my old photos turn to yellowish color. I'm prepared digitising all old hard copy photos. I still have all their negatives well packed in their folders. A friend here advised me to scan their negatives.

I still have an old Epson flatbed scanner but the scanning speed is too slow. I use my Samsung S22 Ultra mobile phone as scanning device. It works without problme on scanning photos.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for your link. I'll go through it and come back later

Was it old B&W film? I've found that can still be usable years later. With color film the color can shift. Do the negatives have that color to them? I'm just wondering if it's the negatives or the scans.

Was it old B&W film? I've found that can still be usable years later. With color film the color can shift. Do the negatives have that color to them? I'm just wondering if it's the negatives or the scans.
Color film

They are scanned images. I used my Samsung S22 Ultra mobile phone scanning the films, It works seamlessly on color photos

Maybe the color shifted since the nagatives seem to be one color. And that's pretty outdated for color film. Of course you could adjust the scans and see what you can do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back