Using Gels to Create Background Colors

chrisburke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisburke.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so now that I have my cactus V2, its time to start trying some neat things... I have 2 flashes (both on v2 receivers) i have a white backdrop.. and if I'm correct in my thinking, I can us one flash behind the subject, put a colored gel on it, and it will put the color onto the back drop...

so, in order to get the subject lit properly, i would put my other flash out in the front (i put it camera left for my test) i had them both dialed down to around -3 i believe it was, but it just seemed as though the rear flash (with the gel) seemed to take all the power... instead of just a red backdrop, the whole thing was red, me (as the subject) as well...

how do i set up my lighting so that I can color my backdrop and properly light my subject???

i have umbrellas (black and a white) and I have a home made softbox as well... for my tests they were just bare, no diffusion of any type...

sorry i cant post the samples i took... i deleted them

Strobist is very good for this type of advice. But what I can say is that power depends on all sorts of factors. The best thing to do is experiment. Also you can try snoots to control where the light falls.

Make sure that the red is not messing with your auto WB. This might be a good time to use a preset or custom WB.

As mentioned, just experiment until you find what power you need to use.

thanks mike. I dont use auto WB.. but if i think about it.. i dont think i changed it last night... and i think the suggestion katier made of using a snoot with help too.. as i was just using a colored cup instead of a gel, and the cup would likely spread the color out more than I want it to.

as i was just using a colored cup instead of a gel, and the cup would likely spread the color out more than I want it to.
Bingo!

Most reactions

Back