Using Gels

tjones8611

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive tried searching this forum and Google, but have not found what I (think) Im looking for. I want to incorporate gels with black/white/gray muslins but am not sure about lighting setup. I use a AB800 with softbox and a speedlight, that is used on camera or shooting through an umbrella. Can I successfully incorporate gels with this set up, or do I need additional lighting?

I've seen some posts that indicated photogs are using gels on the speedlight, seems like this approach would affect color tones of the subject. Other posts indicate placing a gelled light behind the subject, directed towards the muslin…Seems like this would work best, but what type of lighting is used…Flash or constant lighting? I've also seen some that light the muslin from behind.

Does it need to be flash, or will a constant light source work for the coloring?

Whether or not you are using gels, you will probably find that you need separate lights for your background/backdrop.

If you want to color your background with gels, they you most certainly will want to separate lights for it.

Usually, you don't want to mix constant lighting types with flash/strobe, because the color will be different, but if you want the color to be different then it might work. Just keep in mind that it will be important that you find the right balance between flash & constant lighting...and it might be easier said than done.

Use gels on a flash or flashes aimed at the background. Darker backgrounds, like black, create darker,richer,more-saturated gel colors. Gray creates lighter, less-saturated colors. White backdrops create very light,pale,pastel colors, and often cause colored light to reflect and to "fringe" the subject's outline. Overall, very dark gray is an excellent choice onto which to fire a gelled flash unit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back