Using GIMP

Dieselrider

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This question came to me from reading another thread here. How many of you use GIMP for photo editing and how easy is it to use? How about the tutorials, are they easy to follow along with? Thanks. :greenpbl:

I use Gimp. It is pretty good. It is pretty easy to use but it does A LOT of stuff so you just have to learn what it all does.

Never tried any tutorials so i cant help you there.

You could try out gimp, but if you don't care for it much, you could get Photoshop Elements 5.0 for under 15 bucks on ebay.

This question came to me from reading another thread here. How many of you use GIMP for photo editing and how easy is it to use? How about the tutorials, are they easy to follow along with? Thanks. :greenpbl:

i used it until i got PS. yeah it's pretty good for the price :)

I remember a little while back Cnet did a comparison of the some free and paid photo-editing softwares.

I believe Gimp topped the freeware and of course Photoshop topped the paid.
I remember in the review they said Gimp had alot of the functionality that Photoshop had but in many cases it was more difficult and the interface was less intuitive the photoshops.

One advantage of Gimp: the system requirements are less than those of photoshop. PS would cause my old laptop to choke, gimp would process the same size file just fine.

For free you can't beat Paint.net. Gimp was good but a bit harder to work with. Paint.net is more photoshop like so when you do get it you wont find it so hard. but thats just my take on it.

I don't know how much my opinion counts as I am still a newb myself but I have used both programs and I personally like GIMP. It's not all that difficult to learn to use and although I haven't looked at any of the tutorials I didn't really need them. (I am the type of person who learns by doing as I can't learn as well by reading)

As far as photoshop goes, I've used it extensively for my graphic arts classes but I have to tell ya, if you don't have a lot of RAM you can't really play around with images as much as you might like. With GIMP you can play more. I think it has to do with the amount of system resources tied up when you simply open PS compared to gimp.

Try them both out and see which you prefer... you can download a free trial of PS before you purchase it if cost is an issue.... I know it's quite pricey especially if you get into all the add-ons that are available.

ttfn
CDL.

GIMP and GIMPshop (drives like Photoshop) are both great, and you can't beat FREE! :) That said, I'm waiting for a stable version for Mac OS X 10.5/Leopard.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back