Using Nikon Capture 4.4 to get same image as from camera's processor.

Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey I am having trouble with some details of Nikon Camera Capture and Control 4.4 processing NEF files.

For the few times where I have actually turned back to NEF files to adjust white balance or fix some other details where the NEFs come in real handy (I don't use them often), I simply can not get the same quality of the photos wrg shapening and noise reduction as my camer does.

The Nikon D200 with it's oncamera settings set to standard everything the photos come out sharper and with less noise than I have been able to process so far. The NEFs always come out with more noise that's a given, But playing endlessly with the noise reduction settings either kills detail or failes to remove the noise as much. This is mostly obvious in the shadow details which are affected by noise the most.

Unforunately upgrading the to Capture NX is not an option as I simply do not have the RAM to open a NEF file on my machine in Capture NX. The demo simply refuses to work with any usable speed. so...

The question: Is there a page or a list of settings I can apply in Nikon Capture so emulate the identical processing affects of the camera wrt noise and sharpening? Or a sub question, supposing I open with CameraRAW in photoshop, does anyone have favourate noise reduction methods, proprietry filters or other hints or tips?

Thanks
-Chris

add the RAM and move to capture NX....i'm using capture NX and love it....never use 4.4 though.....but NX is great....with the U points and other settings...is just great...i like the auto calculated white balance function.....gives you a very good white balance when you dont have the time to preset it during your shot....^_^

Not all that helpful ;)

Digital Matt you missed my point. Whenever I feel the need to shoot in RAW I always shoot RAW+Normal anyway. Then I always go for the jpegs the camera saves, BUT if the white balance is then off as the result of say reflecting the flash of something in a different room not noticing and forgetting to change the camera settings I only really then grab the RAW so I can adjust it afterwards.

The problem is I have so far been unable to get the same level of noise reduction while retaining the detail working with the RAW file as with the JPEG.

Most reactions

Back