Using the SB-600 with umbrella wirelessly

sarasphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok how do I ask this without confusing you......

I have the sb-600 flash for my nikon d3000. I have a white umbrella and stand but I want to use the flash to flash through the unbrella. What equipment do I need to hook it up like this?

I have the sb-600 flash for my nikon d3000. I have a white umbrella and stand but I want to use the flash to flash through the unbrella. What equipment do I need to hook it up like this?

I could be wrong but I don't think the d3000 supports Nikon's 'creative lighting system.' I think you'd either need a off-camera TTL cord/synchro cable or a set of radio poppers. I have cheap (cowboy studio, 30 bucks for a set) radio transmitters and they work great, but I can't use TTL metering, so I'm forced to manually set flash power and stuff. It gets the job done well though.

You need to add either a optical or radio trigger to the SB-600.

You will no longer have the option of using TTL and will need to set the SB-600 power level manually. You will also be limited to only a couple of shooting modes.

Also, exposure works very differently when you use flash, and the in camera light meter becomes essentially useless.

The shutter speed you use is limited to no faster than 1/200 and the shutter speed controls the ambient light exposure, while the lens aperture controls the subject exposure.

As mentioned earlier, the umbrella bracket it a must for the lightstand.

In terms of the wireless hook up, radio triggers I find are easy to use even though you'll be controlling the flash manually. Takes practice to get it right but you get faster the more you try. I've got a set I ordered on ebay for like $40, much better than the $200+ pocketwizards and such and their not bad at all. Check my signature for the model name if interested.

Easy to setup and once you've got the transmitter and receiver on your camera and flash, just shoot away.

I could be wrong but I don't think the d3000 supports Nikon's 'creative lighting system.' I think you'd either need a off-camera TTL cord/synchro cable or a set of radio poppers. I have cheap (cowboy studio, 30 bucks for a set) radio transmitters and they work great, but I can't use TTL metering, so I'm forced to manually set flash power and stuff. It gets the job done well though.

^^^ This. If you can buy stuff through Cowboy Studio on amazon...DO IT! They are awesome. Their stuff is relatively cheap for a new photographer and it's good quality. I have bought my entire studio set up from them, they have stands that you need.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Strobist-Photography-Studio-Umbrellas/dp/B002DE3RYM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283172583&sr=8-6]Amazon.com: CowboyStudio Strobist Kit Photography Photo Studio Flash Mount Umbrellas Kit: Electronics[/ame]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back