UV filter reflecting colors?

Davor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Don't know why this is happening, im using a Nikon AF 50mm 1.8, one is with a UV filter and one without, notice the picture with the UV filter, there's this green flare, shows up where ever there is light, and some blue lights right by the chair. If i shoot without the UV filter its look ok.

should i buy a better UV filter, cause this is one of those 20$ ones

HENRY'S 52MM UV (JC) - Henry's best camera store in Canada

Optex makes them i think, so my question is if i buy a better one will i still get this or this because its inside?

http://www.imagehosting.com/

Not sure there is much UV light indoors, so no reason for an UV filter.
A better filter could behave better, but if you read other threads on this topic, flare is typical (and in particular in your case, against light). Half people will tell you don't use UV filters at all because they may degrade image quality.

i guess that's an option, i just wanted something to protect the lens from dust and debris getting in, because on the 50mm the lens is pretty deep down so its easy for dust to accumulate over time. And i usually go hiking so i didn't want something flying in there and scratching the glass.

Looks like ghost to me or the Alaskan lights. lol

I think that's just refraction from the filter, because you're shooting directly into a light source...the sort of effect you get from multi-element lenses. Previous posters are correct, there is no UV in this scene, anyway because the light source is tungston, so a UV filter isn't needed.

i guess that's an option, i just wanted something to protect the lens from dust and debris getting in, because on the 50mm the lens is pretty deep down so its easy for dust to accumulate over time. And i usually go hiking so i didn't want something flying in there and scratching the glass.
How do you keep dust and debris off the UV filter?

Cheap UV filters are not optically clear, most aren't flat, nor mounted parallel to the front lens objective distorting your image slightly and softening the focus.

A UV filter not only promotes unwanted lens flare (because of the extra air gap and glass surface), it also reduces image contrast. Even expensive ones.

LensRentals.com - Front Element Scratches

The filter is made of thin, easily broken glass. The sharp shards of thin glass from a shattered filter are more likely to scratch the front lens objective of your 50 mm than something "flying in there and scratching the glass" while you are hiking.

I recommend you loose the essentially useless filter and just clean the front lens objective as needed.

A blower and a natural bristle brush work well. General Brand Large Rubber Blower Brush NP10093 B&H Photo Video

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! KmH, some good advice, i will do what you said. i did a comparison in quality and without the UV filter it looks much better. I will make a thread and show people the difference. Again i appreciate your time to write this

Most reactions

New Topics

Back