UV filter

WayneS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently purchased a polarizing filter and step down adapter. At the time, the salesman (at a reputable camera shop) was recommending a UV filter. I declined at the time as their filters were higher quality and not cheap. What does a UV filter do for you? Figured I may need it since most of my shooting is outdoors. My impression was they protect the lenses from degradation, but since I'm a noob, figured I'd better ask. Also looking for a filter to bring out the colors of skin, the sky etc... Any suggestions? (sorry, 2 questions at once :oops: )

I recently purchased a polarizing filter and step down adapter. At the time, the salesman (at a reputable camera shop) was recommending a UV filter. I declined at the time as their filters were higher quality and not cheap. What does a UV filter do for you? Figured I may need it since most of my shooting is outdoors. My impression was they protect the lenses from degradation, but since I'm a noob, figured I'd better ask. Also looking for a filter to bring out the colors of skin, the sky etc... Any suggestions? (sorry, 2 questions at once :oops: )

It blocks ultraviolet light. UV light can make a photo appear hazy. I personally prefer a polarizer, which has other advantages and it's definitely a mistake to use two filters simultaneously.

Go here for simplified explanations of various filters:
http://www.hoyafilter.com/

also, UV filters are generally used merely as a protective cover for your lens, basically a much cheaper piece of glass preventing damage to the more expensive one, but like socrates said, 2 filters at once is hardly ever a good idea

also, UV filters are generally used merely as a protective cover for your lens, basically a much cheaper piece of glass preventing damage to the more expensive one, but like socrates said, 2 filters at once is hardly ever a good idea

If all you want is a protector, there are protector filters - nothing more than high quality clear glass.

Think that's basically what the salesman was telling me. Keep a UV filter on at all times while I'm out shooting to protect the lens. Using two filters at once was mentioned, but all he said was it could be done. Not whether it was a good or bad idea. Seems that with Photoshop, you can add almost any filter affect you want to after the fact, which I have yet to try.

Honestly, when I first decided to get back into the hobby, I had no idea that people edited their photos, except for cropping, after they took them. Silly me! Learning Photoshop is a hobby in itself!

well the effects of a polarizing filter are rather difficult to replicate with photoshop, though it can be done if u have the know how

I just got one of each, a circular polorizer, and a UV lens. My sales person said the UV lens would be great for shooting water, or reflections? what ever that means!

I do think this may be my issue. I'll try some shooting tomorrow with only one of the filters.

I just got one of each, a circular polorizer, and a UV lens. My sales person said the UV lens would be great for shooting water, or reflections? what ever that means!

I've really only heard of the CP filter to be beneficial for shooting water to reduce the reflections and the UV filter for lens protection.

Most reactions

Back