UV Filters as protection...Does quality really matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreggS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.blue-line-photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just re-built my lens lineup and am looking to get some UV filters to help protect my front elements. There's a huge variation in prices out there, and usually there's a reason behind it. But am I really doing a disservice to myself if I go with a Hoya filter (~$22) over a B&W filter (~$80)?

(Also...I'd like to get an ND filter for at least my 17-40 L (77mm) and my 70-200 L (67mm) if anyone has suggestions.

seriously.. dont bother using one. Just use a hood every time. That should give you plenty of protection.

as far as ND filter, why do you want it on your 70-200 f/4? I was just wondering.

What ^^^ he said. Forget the Filter, you'll look more pro without one :D They do not offer protection from damage, potentially cause more. They do lower optical quality and cause some srange reflection issues. I would only want one on in a very corrosive enviroment and then in those cases like seaside, I usually use a B+W CPL...not a cheap piece of glass.

My glass runs totally nekkid
bigthumb.gif

The ones in the 20-30 buck range are not going to be bad, if you are using it for physical damage protection, other than that UV filters are useless. You could also use a hood...but lots of folks use the filters. It's not very common to like on here, as everyone is a pro..lol, ...but the average persons on the street, noobs, and ams alike use them. It's not that they don't know any better, its that the average person does not have full kits and the amount of gear that pros do, so care of gear is a whole different beast.

Sorry, that's BS. Filters do not protect the front element and cause IQ to drop. FACT.
People use them because the dealers and store employees sell them. FACT.

Educated people DROP them. Fact.

I know, I used to use one, now I don't. You think I don't take care my equipment? I have ~15K in gear, crap, I take better care of it then when I only had $600 invested.

I didn't say you don't take care of your equipment, I sad the average people on the street don't have full lines of gear and care for them as those who do.

People break their lenses often, and not from just dropping them. I think a lot of folks tend to forget about the average person in the community. We get blinders on sites like these as we are dealing with people who have a bit more knowledge and gear as you do.

Sorry, and I may not be favored, but I see it often..people come in and bring a broken lens or scratched all to hell lens.

Here on the site, your ratio of informed people and people who know and care is much more skewered than the average joe.

I've seen the 30 dollar filter save then lens many times in my short time in the business. It's not always about a quick buck to sell a filter. Soooo many people are using their dSLR's as point and shooters anyway...the drop in IQ from using a filter is not even noticeable as their picutres are generall chit anyway.

p.s.

My uv filter sits in my bag...I don't use it either, because I know how to care for my lens. ;-)
also, his original question was directed at when using them for protection...not should he use them for protection. So in terms of using them as protection...that debate not included...does the quality of the filter matter? I say no....since they are all basically the same crap anwyay as far as affecting your shot.

Last edited:
Filters do not protect the front element

Trev, I like you so I hope we can debate this without butthurt, lol. but how can you say that? you know noobs read these threads. Some yahoo tosses their camera in their backpack, which has other crap in it, 'cause they are in a hurry or their latte is ready and it gets all scratched up by random crap in there. Had there been a uv filter on it, the uv filter would have got messed up not the lens. Gotta think of the ...how can I put it...eh...I'll just say it, gotta think of the stupid people out there who don't care for their stuff properly. Sure there is a whole different debate on that, in that they should not be using a good camera, but we won't go there. lol.

To say, so adamantly, that they don't protect the front element is just an incorrect thing to say.

A)Lenses are more often than not damaged BY THE FILTER as it shatters into the front element. Happens all the time as that filter is NOT AS TOUGH as your front element.
B) Qulaity certainly matters. If you put a cheap piece of crap in front of your lens don't you think that will effect the light entering and hitting your sensor? Would you like to shoot through less precise glass?

Don't listen to me if you don't want. I am certainly no expert but I do think of myself as a logical thinker ;)

A) The impact taken that sends the broken filter into your lens and causing damage, was an impact that was going to F up your camera regardless. What about the lesser impacts? or heavy scratches?
B) Wasn't discussing quality at all, I agree with you on all counts of quality, so not sure why we are even debating that aspect. The only mention I made of it not mattering was to those who take chitty pictures anyway...they would not notice the quality drop.

oh who can find that video of the guy TRYing to scratch his front element for me?

I am an amateur, but (hopefully) an educated one.
Without going into the religious debate of filter/no filter, IF you are going to use one, I'd recommend removing it when you shoot in order to minimize image degradation. If you decide to keep it on when you shoot, or decide to take up film, then get one of high quality.

Doesn't that vary, on quality of lens? Serious question...as I don't know. I would think the the cheaper lenses are more easily scratched up than the fancier ones. Or are they all the same quality in the front?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back