UV filters ...

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
keep them on all the time? or does it affect shooting?

You can keep them on. Very little light modifying properties to them.

I keep mine on all the time, mainly for protection of front glass...:thumbsup:

1. Cheaper to replace a scratched filter than a scratched lens.

2. I have yet to see any 'with' and 'without' comparison shots that show any degradation in image quality at all excepting, perhaps, flare from the filter surface when shooting a scene which contains the sun or other bright light. And I've been looking for 50 years.

Take them off only when there are noticable problems caused. I.e. ghosting when shooting into a streetlight or sunset, otherwise keep it on.

i had some lens flare the other day and wasnt sure if the filter was causingit ... inthe future i know! thanks guys

Be aware that filters can cause problems in odd lighting situations. I keep some kind of filter on at all times, unless I'm in an unusual situation: very bright lights, very long exposures, or sometimes at sunset/sunrise. Otherwise, enjoy!

UV filters can be left on all the time for protection. No, they won't affect the image in any way. Make sure you're using good quality multicoated ones though, as cheap ones might introduce flaring and ghosting. Check out the Hoya S-HMC line if you haven't made a purchase yet.

keep them on all the time? or does it affect shooting?

I never use them except in very special conditions such as blowing sand or water. I've never scratched a lens in 50+ years of shooting.

They always degrade the image, though often not to a noticable degree. They will noticably increase the likelyhood of flare, even when using a hood. They will also increase true optical chromatic aberation and radial astigmatism, particularily with wide angle lenses.

The fad of using such filters for "protection" was a product of camera retailers in the '70s to increase profit when the market was moving fast to heavy discounting. Filters have large markups (more than high fashion clothes), so larger that the net profit of a filter sales can approach that of a modest lens.

I keep mine on all the time...I personally don't see a difference, But I have only used mine continuously for a little over a month....

I never use them except in very special conditions such as blowing sand or water. I've never scratched a lens in 50+ years of shooting.

They always degrade the image, though often not to a noticable degree. They will noticably increase the likelyhood of flare, even when using a hood. They will also increase true optical chromatic aberation and radial astigmatism, particularily with wide angle lenses.

The fad of using such filters for "protection" was a product of camera retailers in the '70s to increase profit when the market was moving fast to heavy discounting. Filters have large markups (more than high fashion clothes), so larger that the net profit of a filter sales can approach that of a modest lens.

BINGO! I'd rather buy another nice lens than buy UV filters for all my current ones. I do own UV's for the lenses that I use for outdoor sporting events where extreme dust may be a problem. Even then, I sometimes don't put one on and have yet to damage a front element.

Most reactions

Back