vacation plans - ideas?

Alex_B

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I might be in the terrible situation of having to burn 2 weeks of vacation
beginning of July.

Now, normally I would not complain, but July is a tough month since half the world is travelling and all the places are overcrowded. Normally I avoid July for vacation at all costs.

I will not have a lot of time to prepare for this in June, so climbing Mt Everest is out of scope since I would have to pimp my physical fitness first ;)

Any suggestions? Advice? ;)

Scotland: more precisely the highlands, isle of Skye... I don't think it is that crowded, even in July. Superb photo opportunities. Whiskies.

Scotland: more precisely the highlands, isle of Skye... I don't think it is that crowded, even in July. Superb photo opportunities. Whiskies.

Actually, I was thinking of The Highlands, but then thought June would have been the better option and gave up on that idea. I have been to Skye in autumn, and it was quite deserted. You say it would be OK in July still? Hmm, so I could re-consider it.

Didcot!!!

Its in Oxfordshire and near Berkshire so you get the best of both Worlds. And the people of Didcot are well... they are special

Actually, I was thinking of The Highlands, but then thought June would have been the better option and gave up on that idea. I have been to Skye in autumn, and it was quite deserted. You say it would be OK in July still? Hmm, so I could re-consider it.

I don't know for sure it is going to be deserted in July (last time I went was also in June and there was hardly anybody). My guess is that if you walk a bit off the beaten track you won't see that many people and you will see amazing landscapes. In most touristic places in the UK, even during July/August, if you walk for about 30 minutes away from the car park you can find beautiful deserted places.

An alterenative to Scotland could be Ireland: Connemara and The Burren are amazing. The coast is also beautiful (even the cliffs of Moher are worth seeing IMHO, despite the crowds near the car park).

to cite wikipedia:
The district in England with the highest healthy life expectancy, according to the Office for National Statistics study, is the 1990s-built Ladygrove estate in Didcot

Thanks Steph, will think about it.

to cite wikipedia:
The district in England with the highest healthy life expectancy, according to the Office for National Statistics study, is the 1990s-built Ladygrove estate in Didcot

I can't believe this... The Ladygrove estate is built less than one mile away from the most polluting power station in the UK and most people on the estate live under huge power lines. Surely, that cannot be very healthy.

I just wonder, how can you do a proper life expectancy statistics for an estate which is less than 20 years old. ;)

I can't believe this... The Ladygrove estate is built less than one mile away from the most polluting power station in the UK and most people on the estate live under huge power lines. Surely, that cannot be very healthy.

I just wonder, how can you do a proper life expectancy statistics for an estate which is less than 20 years old. ;)

It'll be because of all the inbreeding that goes on there :lol:

Thanks,
ok, so we have two votes for the North/Scotland, and one for
Didcot and one for Newfoundland.

That will be a close race! ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back